cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nokia bluetooth

Brickinit
Grafter

nokia bluetooth

has anyone had any experiance with nokia to pc via bluetooth? i ask as the cards or usb dongles seem to be priced anywhere from about £20 to £100 and more. are there any draw backs with the cheaper dongles? also any views on bluetooth hands free.
malc
12 REPLIES
N/A

nokia bluetooth

Bluetooth is an excelent peice of kit, and an even better setup experiance Tongue

I had a few problems when I first tried to setup our bluetooth dongle (Trust BT120). THough turned out to be one of the handsets in question.

First, you should make sure it is Nokia compatable. A lot are not. Syncronisation will not be possible without it.

As for handsfree kits. These are a dream.

We are on our third bluetooth handset. The first two where nokias, are new one if a T68I.

We purchased an official Nokia bluetooth car kit and a official Nokia handfree bluetooth kit.

Both work with all our handsets. Thus, when our borrowing the bosses car, the phone doesn't even come out of the pocket.

The problem is, bluetooth treats all sound the same. SO if the value is up, and you knock a button, prepare to jump to the beep Tongue
N/A

nokia bluetooth

I have a Nokia 6310i and an Belkin bluetooth USB adaptor. I can get connect, dial etc... however the number, ANY number dialled always comes up engaged? If I dial the same number(s) manually, they answer and connect. Tres strange!

Any good Nokia support sites out there?
N/A

nokia bluetooth

You may find the Belkin adapter is not Nokia compatable.

When having the same problem myself, I found that all Bluetooth methods (COm, Fax, Dial, Sync, Audio) where supported as the phone allowed. However, they failed.

Most sites that I found with the same issue, sugested that they will show, but may not function.

There are two standards of Bluetooth. These sit on one of the higher level layers, beyond the setup systems. Nokia use the lesser supported one (couldn't find any better feature or stronger correction methods in it, though there may be).

We purchased a new laptop with Bluetooth built in, which seems to work with the Nokia.
N/A

nokia bluetooth

You may find the Belkin adapter is not Nokia compatable.

Sadly I suspect you may be correct... Ahh... whatever did we do in the bad old days before we had 'standards'? Wink
Brickinit
Grafter

nokia bluetooth

thanks for your thoughts on this subject, is there anyway of telling which dongle will be compatable or is it hit and miss? i have ordered a part from watford electronics made by MSI, will i just have to try it or is there a to find out first?

malc
N/A

nokia bluetooth

I knew I had seem some good gosip ont he issue.

HERE is a Register article about the issue

However, I can't for the life of me find the posts about standards issues. This may well be a follow up story to the Register article above.
N/A

nokia bluetooth

Shades of Betamax & VHS, BSB & Sky, slot 1 & socket xyz..... sometimes it is worth waiting for a technology to mature before throwing money about.
N/A

nokia bluetooth

sometimes it is worth waiting for a technology to mature before throwing money about.

Indeed.. and sometimes manufacturers actually manage to ship working products BEFORE they move onto the next 'standard'.... Ho hum, something else for the spare parts bin!
N/A

nokia bluetooth

Bluetooth is very mature.

Just like Mini disk, it has taken a long time (not as long as MD) to come to the market.

Personal area networks are a cheap and clever idea.

Many people think "tosh" to the idea of saving a few foot of cable on a handfree kit. It's far more than that. Universal remotes, AKA, 5000-in-1 remotes. The devices you are controling supplies the instructions to the remote, meaning no codes.

Now if you look at the idea of a remote, think what can be done elsewhere. It is true Plug-n-play. With the minor exception of registering, but security my friend. You don't want some sod turning your bluetooth enabled microwave when the cat has bedded down for the night on accident.

While the range is very short, some of the ideas that can come from it are excelent.

There is even an idea of repeaters. For those reading The Register, you will likely know some of the ideas.

Bluetooth adapter software upgrades. Make each adapter act as a repeater. Even the ability to transmit via a LAN (using boradcast), meaning the device can be miles away (provided you have the network setup).

Back to the subject though. As noted, just like Slot 1, or Socket A, there are bound to be differances. However, the cheaper, more managable technology allways wins, even if it does sacrefice a few small but powerful abilities (which usualy get bridged by a software driver).
Brickinit
Grafter

nokia bluetooth

i have ordered a part from watford electronics made by MSI, will i just have to try it or is there a to find out first?

oops! ordered the wrong thing, got a tranceiving key instead of a pc 2 pc dongle, £7 cheaper as well. Shockedops:
N/A

nokia bluetooth

Bluetooth is very mature.

It may well be... maybe it's my Nokia 6310i that's a bit juvenile! Wink
Community Veteran

nokia bluetooth

Well, my Siemens S55 and HP iPaq 2210 get on very well with each other... Wink

Thomas