cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noisy hardrive

vic_newey
Grafter

noisy hardrive

just installed new hardrive in complete new system & it keeps showing activity every 3 or 4 seconds when idle, light flickers & it makes the sort of noise you get when loading a programme , not connected to internet as yet so not spyware I would expect, only various drivers installed.
My 2nd new drive also does this to a lesser degree

Task manager shows constant activity with the memory, figures for system cache & kernel etc continually changing. Any ideas ?
8 REPLIES
Rich
Grafter

noisy hardrive

How much memory is installed in the system? XP needs at least 128MB before running any other programs.

Richard
Denzil
Grafter

noisy hardrive

This is the boot drive I take it? Depending what applications you are running some hard drive activity is fairly normal. Even Windows on its own will be saving things as it runs - system settings, various temporary things, log files etc.

Denzil
vic_newey
Grafter

noisy hardrive

1 gig is installed, No aps are running other than basic windows, 1 drive is sata raptor 70 other is maxtor 120 , selection of which drive boots is made in bios , raptor drive is noisy whilst idling & is very distracting, Maxtor is much quieter.
Denzil
Grafter

noisy hardrive

If the drive is noticeably noisy when not reading/writing then there is probably a fault with it - dodgy bearings or out of balance platter, perhaps. You would normally hear just a faint whirr as the disc is spinning, if you were listening for it.

As you say it is new I would contact the supplier for a replacement.

One last thought ... check all the parts are firmly screwed to the case, something slightly loose might be vibrating in sympathy.
vic_newey
Grafter

noisy hardrive

the noice is purely the normal loading /unloading noise you get with most drives when accessing data, its not a mechanical noise, its just that it doesn't stop when idling, as the same problem is on the other drive also it has to be a system fault I would think.
N/A

noisy hardrive

where are you SWAP files located?
vic_newey
Grafter

noisy hardrive

I've no idea , where windows puts them upon install I would think, advise me where to look , I looked at the task manager on my daughters PC & it showed constant activity also, is this just normal or what ?
Altho the activity persists I've discovered that the noise is being amplified by the metal hardrive caddy which slides in the main case. I removed the Raptor drive & laid it on a piece of rubber to check this out & the noise more or less dissapeared .
Denzil
Grafter

noisy hardrive

The SWAP file is normally in the root of the C: drive, called something.swp, I think. ( I run Linux so can't check on mine!) Its used by Windows as temporary storage when it is short of memory. As you have 1Gb installed and are not running any apps I would expect minimal activity with the SWAP file.

Have you tried running the task manager to see what is running? Click the Processes tab and look at CPU activity. With no apps running you should normally see System Idle Process showing about 98% and others at 1 or 2%, with occasional changes when things are saved to the hard drive. If anything is constantly showing more activity then check it out. Typing the name of the process in Google will give you lots of hits to explain what the process does.