new motherboard

morgan2476
Grafter

new motherboard

Getting a new mb and processor will I need to format and re-install windows xp
5 REPLIES
N/A

new motherboard

If the motherboard chipset is different on your new motherboard and the operating system is Windows XP then yes you will need to re-install.

Otherwise no, but you can never be 100% sure.

It is better to format though whatever the conditions, as then all the drivers you install are fresh and everything works better, faster and generally rules out errors.
N/A

new motherboard

No - if you have a bootable XP Installation CD you can try a Repair install but it's not 100% guaranteed to work, so if you do try it that way still make a backup of anything important that you don't want to lose.
morgan2476
Grafter

new motherboard

what happens with the drivers from my old mb?
N/A

new motherboard

If you know what they are remove them via device manager - if not don't worry about them - they wont cause you any problems.
N/A

new motherboard

I agree with phearfacto

If you are using the same HDD, save your data on to another partition, another HDD, CD etc, just to be on the safe side and then do a clean installation.

Install the latest motherboard drivers, SP2 and all the other MS updates. In the end everything will be working much better and you will be surprised by the space on the HDD you have recovered.

Trying to to use the existing installation with a different motherboard could end up in tears.. or in a blue screen that is, with a system that no longer boots up. I tried that approach a few times at work and after wasting 4 hours of more I had to re-install everything from scratch.