cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new modem/router question

bigtim
Grafter

Just got myself an adsl modem/router Jobie and Ive managed to set everything up OK.
My question is can i turn everything off at night and if i do will it save all the settings(log on settings and port forward setting) as i don't leave the PC on when I'm asleep :? and if i do turn it off does it just automatically connect back to the internet when i switch it back on.
Ive been using a speed-touch usb thing before which you had to press connect when you wanted to go on the net and this one doesn't seem to have this.
any help for a newbie would be appreciated
tim
10 REPLIES
N/A

The router maintains its own settings and connections, so turning the PC on and off won't effect anything you have set up on the router.

Additionally, as long as the settings on the router have been saved, there is no reason that you can't turn the router off when you aren't using it, simply switching it back on should restore your connection.

One thing to note though (since you don't say which router you have) on certain routers you have to go to a system tools page, and physically save the settings. Other routers do it automatically as you make the changes.

I seem to recall the one where you had to go to the system tools to make the save was a D-Link one., wheras Netgear routers all seem to save automatically as you make the changes.
bigtim
Grafter

cheers for the quick reply Cheesy
Its an addon arm8100 one,everything Ive been on to do the settings with has asked me to save.
If i turn it off completely at night and then when i come to turn it on again next day do they just automatically connect to the internet without me having to do anything.
N/A

It should automatically connect when you turn it on - on most routers (sorry I'm not familiar with your particular model) take a minute or two to run through diagnostics and start their operating system, from there a connection should be made almost straight away.

Depending on the settings you made, your router may be configured to disconnect after a certain amount of idle time, in this case, attempting to connect to the web (ie launching a browser window) should connect your router.

In theory everything should happen automatically, so whenever its on, and you try to access the web, you should be able to.
bigtim
Grafter

nice one,much appreciated for your advice Cheesy
thanks again
tim
N/A

You need to be aware that if you have set it up as dhcp(the pc gets its ip from the outer) than you need to turn on the router before you turn on the pc. In theory the pc should still pick the ip up if you turn on the router after but often this isnt the case.

The best way is to set it to a static ip(you need this if you have got port forwarding on).
bigtim
Grafter

The best way is to set it to a static ip(you need this if you have got port forwarding on).

Is this the best thing to do,i have portforwarding on a couple of things.
How do i know if it is or how to do it if it aint,will it tell me on the website maybe.
Never used one before.
N/A

Let us know what router you have.

Most likely one of the people posting here will have experience of that router, and will be able to give you a plain english guide to what needs doing.

Alternatively the manufacturer website is a good place to look for advice/FAQ's
bigtim
Grafter

Its a addon arm8100
N/A

There is a brief instruction on it here
Hopefully this will help walk you through the process.
bigtim
Grafter

thanks once again Cheesy
Ive followed the guide on there to set up my static ip address in the win xp guide and port forwarded my applications that i use in the router guide so i guess Ive done it fingers crossed Cheesy
One thing i noticed though was the win xp guide shows 2 dns server boxes to fill in with one being an alternitive but im only showing one dns sever when i used the cmd so i could only fill in one box,
does this matter. :?