cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new hard drive question

laura
Grafter

new hard drive question

hi, my hard drive recently broke and as I was under warranty the manufacturer agreed to send a new hard drive. Now, as I can't be without a computer I decided to fit a drive that was in an external caddy so there was no waiting time. The new drive has now arrived. Now, I wondered if anyone has a view on this - I'm torn between fitting the new drive, loading XP (no I do not have Vista yet) and then putting the drive away until the current one gives up; or putting the new one in an external caddy and using it for general storage. What I wonder is if I did the first option is there a chance the disk could die while I was storing it?
3 REPLIES
N/A

new hard drive question

The new drive will have a 2-3 year warranty so you may as well use it as there is less chance of it breaking than an old drive. Use the old drive for storage.

You dont say what size each drive is so unless the old drive is a lot larger than the replacement there is no point keeping it as a boot drive.

If its got your system loaded on it you could put it away for a emergency backup and it should be ok for years if kept under good conditions. There isnt a lot of point as if you used it it would be miles behind with updates etc.
laura
Grafter

new hard drive question

thanks for your wise words about the warranty and updates! The drive I put in the laptop is a lot larger than the one that broke, and the replacement is obviously like for like. I think I'll use the replacement in an external caddy rather than load the OS and store it.
grimme
Grafter

new hard drive question

You can use programs like Acronis True Image to copy the live state of a current XP install to a fresh HDD (either in a USB caddy or internally as a slave drive) and then swap out the old HDD for the new one.

If you want to go for a fresh install of XP on the new HDD, you could use a program called Autopatcher (www.autopatcher.com) this has all the windows updates and patches, currently up to May 2007, in one downloadable file.

Download this before your install and burn to CD or put onto a flash USB stick along with any hardware driver files, that way you do not go onto the internet before you have most of the latest updates.