cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

networking!!!!

N/A

networking!!!!

i have a desktop computer connected to plusnet through a us robotics adsl modem i want to connect my laptop to the desktop using a crossover cable and be able to access the internet through it can i do this and if so how please help!!?
41 REPLIES
N/A

networking!!!!

Hi,

The best way to do this would be to use ICS (internet connection sharing) which is built into windows there is a tutorial on how to set this up which is located here.
N/A

networking!!!!

it says i must have 2network cards is this the case if you are usng a crossover cable?Huh
Community Veteran

networking!!!!

You need 2 network or lan ports (one in the PC ad one in the /laptop) to link the two together.

Depending on the age of the 2 PCs they may already have a network port (some motherboards come with on-board lan ports as do some laptops so check the diagrams for your ports and see if they already exist. If not you need to get a PCMCIA network card (one of those small credit card devices that normlly slot into the side of a laptop) for your laptop and a PCI network card for your PC to connect the two together with the crossover Ethernet cable.
N/A

networking!!!!

no in the link you sent earlier it stated that "If you're sharing a DSL, cable modem, or other ethernet-based Internet connection, the computer with the connection must have two ethernet cards installed. (Microsoft doesn't tell you about this one!)" both my desktop and laptop have network cards on them and i have tried what it says here to connect but i still cannot connect to the internet on the laptop
Community Veteran

networking!!!!

So the 'us robotics adsl modem' is connected via an ethernet cable and is not a USB modem? Can you post the full name of the device so we know what it is capable of? There may be a simpler way to connect them all together.

It was mrpool (who works for plusnet) that posted the link. I don't work for plusnet.
N/A

networking!!!!

if your modem is a USB one then you will have no need for teh second network card, as you only need one to connect the network cable to.

what operating systems are you running on both ur pc and laptop?

buz
N/A

networking!!!!

All you need is a lan card in your pc and a lan card in your laptop i know cause i am doing now. Its simple. I am running windows xp home on the laptop and xp pro on the pc
N/A

networking!!!!

hey all, my us robotics is a usb adsl modem which i have connected to my desktop pc which is running windows xp home i have a network card in the desktop which has a crossover cabe connected to my laptops network card which is running windows xp pro i have tried running the connection sharing wizard with no luck i think my problem lies in setting up the laptop to connect to the internet what should my ip address be set to on it any help would be much appreciated!!!
N/A

networking!!!!

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network.jpg

follow this uber great guide Smiley
N/A

networking!!!!

where can i get my DNS server addresses fromHuh?
Community Veteran

networking!!!!

They are plusnets DNS servers you need:

Also shown by clicking connection settings -> show details page.

Or in the case of your laptop, use the IP address on your main PC as your DNS server IP which in turn will use the ones plusnet have assigned your USB modem..
N/A

networking!!!!

yay no flamage on how BAD that tutorial is lol
N/A

networking!!!!

You need the windows xp cd to set ics up
N/A

networking!!!!

no you dont, unless your other PC doesnt run XP, but then again ICS just sucks and does it wrong. Use the proper way (the stuff the wizard does for you) and then at least you will know what to change if it goes wrong