cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

networked drives

Community Veteran

networked drives

I have just bought a wireless setup for home and have shared folders on both pcs (win xp Home Ed). I had tought that after doing this the folders etc would show up it the other pc's my computer/ explorer window. Is this possable or am I making it up.

Cheers

Alan
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

networked drives

Have you installed file & print sharing on both PCs and actually setup the folders to be shared?

Have you configured your software firewalls to allow each other access and allowed ports 137->139 to be allowed through?
N/A

networked drives

You say you think it should show up in explorer. Normally you choose my network places and then search which normally show it.

You can connect by going to run then type cmd and in the window type

net use p: \\otherpcsname\sharename password /user:username

as an example

net use p: \\mypc\c$ password /user: administrator

you can use c$ instead of the sharename which will give you all drive c but you must supply a admin username and password. Its better connecting to c$ as then you dont have any shares for people to see.

You can save the command as a file and call it connect.cmd then if you double click on it you can connect. You can change p: to any drive letter not used so far
Community Veteran

networked drives

I can see the items under my network places and i can use the files etc on each of the opposing pcs I had just thought that the shared drives would have shown up on the other pc in the My computer window. When I read mags etc the picture always appear to show other hd's on the network under on the same screen as the host pc details.

Alan
Community Veteran

networked drives

just sussed it. in the main my computer screen you choose tools/ map network drive and the select drive letter and folder on the networked pc. this then shows up as a networked drive in my computer and does away with having to go to my network places all the time.

A
N/A

networked drives

Using the net use command does the same thing if you want it to show up all the time tick the box reconect at startup so it becomes persistant