cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network problem please help someone

N/A

we have just bought a BT Voyager 2100 laptop and desktop kit and installed all the drivers and then the cards and connected up to the network, set the router in our hallway. We have the laptop about 4 or 5 metres away and the desktop in a bedroom which is about 11 metres away but yesterday it wasn't as fast as my adsl modm used to be on the desktop but today the laptop is fine connection but the desktop only gets a 1 bar all the time and loading times are about 10 minutes to load a page, I've done a test on the voyager.home site and get this back.

Test the connection to your local network
Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS
Test your Wireless Connection: PASS

Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: FAIL

Test the connection to your Internet service provider
Test PPP server connection: PASS
Test authentication with ISP: PASS
Test the assigned IP address: PASS
Ping default gateway: PASS
Ping primary Domain Name Server: PASS

It says we are on a channel 11 , has anyone any clues as to why the desktop would slow down so much as to speeds you can't use. The Voyager states to be fast and with 50 metres range indoors, the walls aren't thick or anything. Can't understand what to do.

Philip
1 REPLY
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Philip,

I suggest that there is another wireless net work near by. Try out different channel numbers and see if that makes any difference.

I have a laptop which is moved between two wireless networks. In one situation, the base station in under a metal shelf, yet the signal is fine all over the house.

The other is in my work flat and the signal is poor even when only 15 foot from the base station. I suspect that there are a large number of wireless networks in the area. Changing channels made some (limited) improvement.

Hope this helps,
Kevin