cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network printer problem

N/A

network printer problem

Hi, Can anyone help?
I have 3 PC's connected via a Netgear 834 router. All on Windows XP. I also have an OKI laser printer connected to the router. I have installed the printer on 2 of the PC's, but I can only print from one of them.
Any ideas as to why?
Any help would be gratefully accepted, thank you.
4 REPLIES
N/A

OKI Printing Ivan

Hi,

Have you enabled printer sharing of the OKI printer (as a network device), have you given the printer an IP address (assuming your using TCP/IP printing) on the same network your x3 PC's are on. Have you set the correct subnet mask too, check this setting too (255.255.255.0) etc.

Have you checked in XP that the user accounts on each PC has permissions to use the printer in question. NOT all users have the same printer permissions, some can just send jobs to the printer and that's all, some can manage print ques, some can also install printers (other cannot,etc).

**Also can you PING the printer from the machine you cannot print from?

**Have you got the latest drivers for XP from the OKI site?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

network printer problem

Yes, to all counts!

I get the message 'invalid data or timeout' in the display panel of the printer whenever I try to print from the 2nd PC.
N/A

network printer problem

Can you post the results of doing a ipconfig /all from all the pc's and what is the ip of the printer?

If the printer is the deafault printer open a cmd window(start/run/cmd) and type
dir >prn what happens
N/A

OKI Printer probs replying Ivan

Hi Again,

Make certain also that the network card is functioning correctly on your second PC, if it has any diagnostic tools you could run those to check the card is sending & receiving data packets correctly. Check the cable between the 2nd PC and your printer it could be something as simple as a dicky RJ45 connector or a duff CAT5 cable or printer cable?

**Yes!! IPconfig /all definately a good idea here.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!