cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network hardware...

N/A

network hardware...

hello all,

i getting rid of my all-in-one disgusting adsl modem/router/access point and building my own.

I've chosen GigEthernet so a i'll get a netgear switch, some gig adapters but i'm stuck on cabling.

I've chosen GigE for future expansion so I want lots of Cat6 cabling but there are so many obstacles between now and actually buying them, for instance:

1) stranded or solid UTP? what's best when the cable is RJ45 terminated?
2) what's the ebst crimping tool for cat6 cables? are cat5 crimping tools up to the job?
3) what's the best site for buying reels of cat5e/cat6 cable and/or switches/adapters in the UK? I'm looking at eBuyer.com but can only buy cable which has already been terminated.

I'm sure there's a site out there in the UK which sells everything I want to do but I'm hesitant about shopping at a site which I just stumble across.
Has anyone used http://www.lanshop.co.uk/?

thanks for your time

poncenby
3 REPLIES
madswitcher
Grafter

network hardware...

I am successfully running 1G Ethernet over Cat5e cables and fixings so why bother with Cat 6?

With respect to cables: you should use solid cables for all runs and they should terminate in a punch-down block such as you get on a RJ45 patch panel. You them jumper between devices using drop down/jumper cables that use flexible cores. Really, the solid core cables should not be terminated in RJ45 plugs. If used as jump/drop-downs, they eventually work-harden and then go intermittant.

Cheers, Mike
N/A

network hardware...

Agree with hastings.

Cat5e copper works fine for Gigabit.

Bulk buy of cables etc., go to www.videk.co.uk

e.g., see here for bulk cable.

Excellent service and prices.
N/A

network hardware...

I thought cat5e could only handle 350meg? and prone to a lot more disturbance I thought.
does anyone know if cat5 crimpers are suitable for cat6 cable?
i've seen on the net people saying that if cat6 is to be terminated with RJ45's then stranded is better than solid.

"With respect to cables: you should use solid cables for all runs and they should terminate in a punch-down block such as you get on a RJ45 patch panel. You them jumper between devices using drop down/jumper cables that use flexible cores. Really, the solid core cables should not be terminated in RJ45 plugs. If used as jump/drop-downs, they eventually work-harden and then go intermittant."

with reference tro the above quote from the first reply, could anyone post a link to a good webstie which will enable me to understand what its going on about.

i thought cat6 was a good choice due to future expansion and 10gig networks eventually coming....who knows what i'll need it for....

thanks