cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netscape

community
Grafter

netscape

Here's a strange effect that my change to Netscape from IE6 as a browser has come up with.
On my website, I have on the index page a list of "Tips and Tricks" (for the keyboard playing fraternity!). , where it is possible to click on the listed Heading of the 'Tip' and it takes you straight to the appropriate text lower down the page.
This works perfectly when you use IE6 but when you approach the website from Netscape, it just doesn't work.

Anybody know what the problem and its solution is?
cheers
3 REPLIES
N/A

netscape

I see it renders badly in Navigator 4.77, but ok in Firefox. Both follow the links. I haven't tried Navigator 7.2 as it wont load at the same time as Firefox.

The only thing I see is that you have multiple anchors with name="specs" and others. This may be confusing the browser as only IE takes a guess at what you want and ignores errors.

A site I visited earlier today had an unterminated comment. Firefox reported the error and commented every thing out - IE ignored the error and displayed the page, probably assuming it should have terminated at the next tag.

HTH
N/A

netscape

As a starter, there is no DOCTYPE specified at the very beginning, so the browser doesn't know what it's supposed to be trying to read.

When the URL
http://www.music2myears.plus.com/
is pasted into the validator at
http://validator.w3.org/
it shows a total of 372 errors, but some of them are probably a result of having no DOCTYPE in the first place, so I'd sort that out before you start looking at the rest, some of them may well disappear then.
community
Grafter

netscape

~Thanks HTH and Gordon for your obervations.
Since first posting this thread, I have bought into Cuteftp which seems now to have corrected the errors I was concerned about.
As for 'DOC type' and the reported 372 errors, I am aware that the site html is very messy and should be cleaned up. However, I fear that if I tried to clean it up I may cause even more errors!!
It also seems that the multiple "name="xxxxx" entries are necessary for the operation of the forward and return commands.
I value both your comments ,gentlemen, and would welcome any further advice.
cheers
Eddie Johnson