cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netgear help

bigtim
Grafter

netgear help

using a netgear 834gt and i left utorrent downloading last night and when i came to it this morning the torrent was seeding but my port is not open anymore.
Is the some setting to keep it open when i leave it.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

netgear help

What do you mean by 'my port is not open any more'?

Have you enabled UPNP in the router or setup port forwarding to your PC for the ports the utorrent is using?
bigtim
Grafter

netgear help

i have done all the portforward stuff and when i check to see if the utorrent port is open i get the green light and the green tick on utorrent to say everything is fine.
UPNP is on
So last night i left it downloading and when i checked on my utorrent downloads the next day the little green icon at the bottom to say all is fine had changed to the yellow triangle saying no incoming,so i went into the utorrent settings and checked the port was still ok but now it has changed to red saying the port is closed,so i turn utorrent off and back on and the port is showing green again.

The torrents had finished downloading and were seeding but my old router before never did this.
Just wondered if this was a netgear thing.or i have missed some settings.
N/A

netgear help

I'd definetely suggest manually setting port forward on your firewall and changing away from the default port(s) if that is possible.
UPNP basically allows any application behind the firewall to open up ports at will and without warning. The moment you get any malware onto your system, there goes your firewall integrity.