cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netgear 834 more help please...

N/A

Thanks to everyone that helped me before on this one,the problem I have know is...when I turn the pc off,It has been said that I can leave the router still on,well when I do do this it uses up my bandwidth up, some days 250 mbs some days 450 mbs and some days 125 mbs !!??.
In the router setup I set it to turn off........so I did this........It didn't make any difference still used 160 mbs over night till about 5.30 pm from 9.30 pm the day before. I also have NO icon in sys tray to double click to turn if off with ,only the LAN icon .............. Help please...
Many thanks
15 REPLIES
N/A

A router will always use some bandwidth when the computer is turned off, this is normal background packets.

If you want to stop it unplug the router when you have finished for the day.

You do not get an icon on your taskbar with a router, it is a separate piece of equipment from your computer.
N/A

Many thanks cajef
N/A

There is some debate as to which is best, leaving your router on all the time or unplugging it.

They are designed to be left on all the time, hence no ON/OFF switch, some say keep unplugging them can cause premature failure, really its just personal preference.

The only time I unplug mine is when I go on holiday, the rest of the time its always on, the small amount of bandwidth they use when the computer is off is really of no concern to me, and hardly effects the monthly total unless you get near to the limits each month.
N/A

Well this one used 132 mbs between 8.00am and 5.30 pm same day ??thats 3960 in 30 days and thats when I am at work......pc OFF Huh
N/A

Are you sure its 132MB and not 0.132MB

132MB is more than I use in a day unless I am downloading something, and I can be on the net for several hours during the day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Just for comparison the new usage meter shows that traffic overnight (free) varies between 300 - 600kB when all the computers are switched off. Hence since the overnight free is 8 hours my router idle usage could be between 0.9 and 1.8MB per day
N/A

Many thanks hpcltd,
It is in fact Not a wireless router,so no one can be useing only me !!
and I have now set it to disconnect after 20 mins.
Many thanks again
Dave
The_10th
Grafter

You should no way be using that much B/W with the router in its quiescent state (just keepalives etc being tx'd). Have you carried out unit reset and started from scratch configuring it? Also, what firmware are you at and what network card(s) is it connected to? I presume that the computer(s) are constantly connected via ethernet cables even when off? Could try disconnecting the ethernet cables to see if useage falls as some NICs are still partly active and maybe somewhere else to look?

Strange problems sometimes require strange thinking! Wink
N/A

Hi nolans,
Thank you for your reply,interesting !!
The reset I have done many times as instuctions,and as other users have said etc etc, too.
The firmware is the latest,as per netgear website.
reconfiguring to both windows xp and router about 4 times now ,no differant.
No network cards,built in lan port on motherboard MSI 925xe neo with latest bios update and lan drivers etc.
Only this computer on the lan network.
and yes have disconnected the cable.
Sadly all this has not worked ? ?

many thanks Dave
N/A

I know it sounds obvious - but is it definately showing MB and not KB?
eg. 0.250MB, 0.450MB and 0.125MB?
These are the sorts of amounts I'd expect - if they are MB then there is definately some sort of problem, although with the PC off, I can't imagine what it could be.
The_10th
Grafter

Seems like you have spent a good while on this!

Login to the router and from the router status page click on 'show statistics'. this will open a smaller window and look at the Tx packets for WAN and LAN to see how many packets are being tx'd / rx'd in over period of time without any IP activity from your pc (e.g. Messenger, email, surfing etc) and post on here please.
N/A

@nolans

Nice avatar, but it is too big!
Rules state maximum size 80x80 pixels, best to change it before one of the Mods picks up on it.... Wink
N/A

To nolans
at about 9.00 pm last night I rebooted the router,then closed the PC down.
then 5 mins ago started it all up logged in to the router etc........

Wan
Status PPPOA
Tx Pkts 65832
Rx Pkts 74972
Collisions 0
Tx B/s 145
Rx B/s 1729

Hope this helps ??
Dave
The_10th
Grafter

Nice avatar, but it is too big!
Rules state maximum size 80x80 pixels, best to change it before one of the Mods picks up on it.... icon_wink.gif

Happy now!!! Wink