cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.mpg video file will not play

Alecto
Grafter

Windows Media Player, Real Player and Divx player all refuse to play a file which has a suffix of .mpg.
I've run Gspot on it and all it tells me is

This is an MPEG format video file. This format is not currently supported by GSpot. Note that "Rendering" may be used to obtain more information about an unsupported format.

Rendering just comes up Rending Failed.

I've looked on Google for a Codec, but can't find one.
Can anyone suggest what I have to do to play it, please?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Dunno really, but have you tried this player, it plays everything I ever through at it :- http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Alecto
Grafter

Yes, and it plays my file too. Much obliged to you. Tongue
Community Veteran

Yeah!! I was helpfull!! Cheesy lol

Glad to help ya bud! Wink Cool
N/A

For info;
Your problem was a codec problem,
mpeg 1 = VCD format supplied with wmp, everyone can play these.
mpeg 2 = DVD format not supplied with wmp so you need to get a codec.

Certain players have mpeg2 codecs built in, Videolan, BS player etc. To obtain a codec simply Google for it. A guy called Stinky has one mpeg2 for free, in fact there is rarely any need to pay for codecs as most have a version supplied free.

Purists hate the codec packs as they can be hard to upgrade but for basic users are OK.

By getting a codec wmp should play the film.
The two players that I mention have a high reputation for playing most formats and if you like their style / layout you could just stay with them.
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks for the info. Nice to know what was going on.

I did find Stinky's codec via Google and downloaded it, but it still didn't work.
I was then wondering whether I'd put it in the wrong place, or it had put itself in the wrong place. I searched my computer for codecs but didn't really know what I was looking for and found a couple of locations with stuff in that could have been codecs. As far as I can tell, it ended up in Windows/System.
That's when I gave up and asked here............... :roll:
N/A

If I remember correctly you just run the codec and it installs it self in the correct place. Then wmp will find it when required. The same applies to most codecs they have an installer built in. Unzip if necessary then run.
Some people do not like videolan's layout and controls but otherwise it is better than wmp and less intrusive.
Alecto
Grafter

Yes, that's what I did, but neither wmp, nor realplayer, nor divx player wanted to find it. I blame Bill Gates personally. Could be to do with Windows ME which I'm reliably informed is pretty poor.

Anyway, I hadn't heard of BSplayer, but have tried it and am impressed. It's easy to use and I prefer it to Videolan, so I think I'll standardise on that for the time being.

thanks again.
N/A

**plugs the fact that i run a mirror for VLC**