cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motherboard chipset help

N/A

motherboard chipset help

Hi I am about to upgrade my motherboard the one i have has a intel chipset and the new motherboard is a sis chipset can anyone tell me which is best chipset

many thanks
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

motherboard chipset help

Depends on the processor you want to use.

More detailed spec on your requirements please?

Also what of your current hardware do you intend to keep?

While chipsets can make a difference, the other components you have could make a bigger difference. There is no simple comparison that will say one chipset is better than others. At the top end of the market it can be significant, but at the middle or lower end there is not much of a difference.
N/A

motherboard chipset help

hi thanks i have a p4 2.8 cpu running at 533fsb 896mb of pc2100 ddr mem
does that help or would you like more info if so could you explain how much more info

many thanks
Community Veteran

motherboard chipset help

What is the purpose of the upgrade? Is there a reason why you are changing just the mbo and none of the other componants. If this is to make your system faster then it probably won't make any difference unles you also upgrade processor, ram, disks, graphics etc.

The mobo is just one part of the overall picture. There are many chipset manufacturers, there are many mobo manufacturers using many chipsets, all have slightly different specs, variants, performances and price brackets.

Just asking is SiS better than other chipsets can't be answered with a yes or no because each chipset has it's pro's and cons. Different chipsets also support different features/hardware etc.

SiS have have problems with USB in the past, so have VIA. Newer chipsets may not have the same problems but I have no knowledge of them to say if they have or not.

Often it is cost that decides what you purchase, not necessarily the chipset. DO you have a budget for the upgrade?

Do you have any motherboards in mind? Comments on specific motherboards can be made.
N/A

motherboard chipset help

hi i have just upgraded cpu and graphiics card the graphics card i got is 8* agp and motherboard i have in which is a asus p4b533 is only 4* agp so i would like to upgrade to take advange of graphics card and also be able to go better with cpu in future. the motherboard i have seen is asus p4s800.

i intend to use asus p4b533 in my partners machine.

many thanks
Community Veteran

motherboard chipset help

You are unlikely to see any graphics improvement going from 4x to 8x AGP. Most graphics cards work at there maximum speed wth 4x AGP anyway.

ASUS make very good mobos so you should not have any problems with what you suggest.
N/A

motherboard chipset help

thanks for the help

many thanks
Community Veteran

motherboard chipset help

A word of warning, if you are just going to replace one mobo with another, make sure you remove any intel chipset drivers first otherwise you may end up with a non-booting windows install and it can be very tricky to recover.

Ideally you should do a full windows reinstall after changing the mobo so all the chipset components are detected properly.
N/A

motherboard chipset help

thanks will do that i have alwasys started for scratch with doing major update

thanks for your help