cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

monitor

N/A

monitor

My monitor has suddenly taken to flickering then changing colour to a deep magenta. which lasts for a few minutes, switches back to normal for a while then to magenta again. This is sometimes continuous and sometimes stays at normal.
I've raised the refresh rate from 75 to 100 without much effect. Has anyone experienced a similar problem ?
Help would be very much appreciated.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

monitor

Time to get a new monitor as it is starting to fail. Adjusting things like frequency or brightness/colour levels are unlikely to solve this as it sounds like a problem with one of the controlling PCB's or the HT supply.

If it is still within warranty then get it fixed, if not it may actually cost more to repair now a days than buying a new one.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

monitor

Are there any unshield speakers near by or on the the monitor? Could be as simple as a magnet from a speaker affecting it.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

monitor

Not happy about your diagnosis but many thanks for confirming my worst fears. I'm a mite surprised, though, because it's only 6 years old and I would have thought they lasted a bit longer.
N/A

connection

Thanks for replying ADP450 but, no, the router is well away fro the speakers.
phillight
Grafter

Re: monitor

only 6 years old and I would have thought they lasted a bit longer.

3 years has been the longest I've had a monitor before it starting to die - with the exception of the one on my Amstrad CPC which was still going strong after 7 or 8 years.

Phil
N/A

monitor

Sounds like your Line Output Transformer might be on the way out, this is the component that provides the 30,000 Volts or so HT. If so it can be fixed by your local TV repair shop ( if such a thing still exists), get a quote before you commit to a repair, it may be as well to junk the monitor and get a new one.

It could be just a dirty connection inside the monitor, you'd be amazed at how dusty they get inside, the high voltage attracts the muck ( especially smoke).
I've fixed a few tellies & monitors just by carefully unplugging the connector on the neck of the tube and reseating it - watch out there can be high voltage still inside even when the monitor is turned off

Jeff
Rich
Grafter

monitor

This could be as simple as a dodgy connection on the cable between monitor & PC.

Richard.
N/A

monitor

Has signal lead been bent at pc end ( another likely candidate) by being pushed back against wall or whatever. !00Hz/6 years old?
N/A

monitor

Sudden colour changes generally down to four things

1/ Video card - in which case, chuck it
2/ Bad connection on video cable from vid card to monitor (as already mentioned)
3/ Bad connection of connection board to tube in monitor (as already mentioned.
4/ Colour adjustment potentiometer dirty, causing arcing.

Unless you are conversant with the internals of Monitors or TV's, I would not suggest trying to do anything inside the monitor yourself, as potentially lethal voltages are present.