cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem/router/wireless/xbix/laptop

N/A

I have no idea what I need to buy to achive the following.
I currently have the plusnet provided binatone usb adsl modem.

I would like to add the ability to add a laptop to the network with a wireless connection, and an xbox via either wireless, but most likely via a fly lead (cat5 ?)

I'd rather not have to add a network card to my mai pc, so would like to continue to use the modem/router via usb from the main machine.

I've browsed the varios hardware sites and am left confused at to what I need in relation to the modem/router.

Ideally I think I need a router which is also an adsl modem, which has can be connected via usb to me pc, cat5 to the xbox, and wirelessly to a laptop.

If the above is possible, can someone point me at what I should buy in relation to the modem/router.

Many thanks
Jules
10 REPLIES
N/A

Well tbh the best option is to get a network card for your PC and get an ADSL router wtih modem in it and then just use that, as it is hard to connect everything to gether when you are using USB and want to use wireless as well, you may as well just get the router modem and be done wtih it
N/A

You could do it by adding a wireless pci card or usb dongle to your pc, wireless Cardbus card for your laptop, and single port Wireless Access Point to connect the X-box to. You'd then have to set up ICS on your pc.

tbh, as buzzons said, it would probably be cheaper and easier to get a wireless ADSL modem/router. You can then connect your main pc and X-box to that with patch cable, so the only other item you'd need to buy would be the Cardbus card for the laptop. You can then sell your usb modem on ebay.
N/A

Ok thanks for that.

I have now discovered that my ASUS MB actually has a built in 10/100 Network socket, and have installed its drivers. I guess that gets me part the way there Cheesy

Now all I need to do s decide on an ADSL./Modem

Any recomendations?
Are we talking this sort of thing?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=172374

Many thanks.

Jules
N/A

Take a look here.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Duplicate posts removed
N/A

Many thanks, I've taken a look at the link.

Do you reckon this is a goodun?

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?CategoryID=80&ProductID=2028&ShopGroupID=38

Many thanks
Jules
N/A

I'd go for the Buffalo

For optimum compatibility (especially for speeds and encryption) I'd very strongly recommend that you buy the same brand for all your wi-fi gear.
N/A

Many thanks for the advice.

Why do you recommend the Buffalo?
Are there any good review sites that cmpare all these devices?

Thanks again.
N/A

Seems to get good reviews around the bazaars (Google for them). Good vfm, speed + range performance and ease of set-up.

I personally use US Robotics.
N/A

Just ordered the Buffalo.

Many thanks
Jules
N/A

good choice, my school uses them and they are really fantastic bits of kit