Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem cant dial up

runhare
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

modem cant dial up

I have been asked to look at a PC that wouldnt dial up to the internet. (Plus NET).
On examining the PC, and running a dial up command, the message "no dial tone" is displayed. I plugged in my lap top, boot up Plus net and hey presto, I have a connection.

I diagnose a busted modem andd replace it. Still no joy. I take the machine home, lplug it into my phone line, and it hears the dial tone and connects!

In the meantime I strip off the usual viruses and adware make sure machine is running just tickety boo, put on all windows updates etc, take the machine back to its owner, plug in and guess what, no dial tone! I lend spare machine to friend, thAT can dial up perfectly .

Any one any idea what the probelem might be?

Cheers,

Graham Smout :?:

BTW we live way outside ADSL areas so please dont suggest that as a solution to problem.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

modem cant dial up

I have had this problem before and it turned out that the phone lead to the modem was faulty. trying a diferent lead from another didn't solve it but trying one form the same type did.
It seems that the pin outs on some leads are different at the modem end.
N/A

modem cant dial up

Do you call minder? I have come across that cause it if you have a message as it can put a tone on the line which makes the modem thinks there is no dialtone
runhare
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

modem cant dial up

Its neither of these things; not that I can tell.

:idea: will be trying to swap modem that works for modem that doesnt thei evening, but cooincidentally BT now think there is a fault on the line; and i think it is more gain that the line needs. the line is registered as a callbox! (long story) but isn't, and often the dial out of a phone will not work either.

Thanks for the ideas though.

graham