cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mIRC Causing Frequent Disconnections

N/A

I host an IRC Bot on irc.americasarmy.com using the latest version of mIRC (v6.14). It is online 24/7 and the PC it is hosted on also hosts a webserver/gameserver.

Every night, mIRC disconnects with the following error in the status window:

"Software Caused Connection Abort"

Sometimes mIRC sits there as if its connected, but when I type something in a channel it immediately says 'Disconnected' and starts trying to reconnect to the IRC server. The problem is, it seems to disconnect the entire internet so I need to restart the router in order to be able to chat/browse the internet again Sad

Any help is much appreciated!!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

its a problem with all IRC servers, you loose connection to them when:

they get busy, due to there locations
they have a minor dos/clone flood/bot net causing a netsplit - if using multi linked servers

All those above and possibly your connection to them is loaded/busy so makes it more likely to happen.

So to help this, find out if they have any euro servers and join those which should help.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

As you noted, it doesn't show as disconnected, until you attempt to send a message. This is caused by a problem with NAT and possibly internet disconnections.

These could be causes by each other.

Check to see if there is newer firmware or drivers for your connections hardware.

When your connection to the internet is lost, it is usualy regained within a few seconds. To some applications, these few seconds do not matter, thoughts some, mainly ones using TCP, do not get a packet from the router or server saying that the connection was lost.

As such, the software still thinks it is connected, until it attempts to send data, and all of a sudden gets a report the connection doesn;t exist.
N/A

Ok its happened again, and as I was using the PC I dont think it is because of it being idle. Is it mIRC cuasing the problem, or mIRC just being a victim of internet cutoff?

I looked in the events log of my D-Link DSL-604 router and maybe someone would be able to help me from the following:

PPP]Up 38 secs-Connect:PPP IPCP reaches open state
[PPP]Up 39 secs-Connect:PPP IPCP reaches open state
[SNMP]Up 10 secs-Link:Ethernet Link Up
[DRIVER]Up 1 min 37 secs-Link:ADSL Link Up
[PPP]Up 1 min 43 secs-Connect:PPP manually start
[PPP]Up 2 mins 13 secs-Connect:PPP Stop
[PPP]Up 2 mins 36 secs-Connect:PPP manually start
[PPP]Up 2 mins 54 secs-Connect:PPP LCP reaches open state
[PPP]Up 2 mins 54 secs-Auth:PPP Start CHAP authentication
[PPP]Up 2 mins 54 secs-Connect:PPP IPCP reaches open state
[PPP]Up 2 mins 54 secs-Connect:PPP IPCP reaches open state
[PPP]Up 75 mins 34 secs-Connect:PPP Stop
[PPP]Up 76 mins 26 secs-Connect:PPP manually start
[PPP]Up 76 mins 29 secs-Connect:PPP LCP reaches open state
[PPP]Up 76 mins 29 secs-Auth:PPP Start CHAP authentication
[PPP]Up 76 mins 33 secs-Connect:PPP IPCP reaches open state
N/A

Ok its happened again, and as I was using the PC I dont think it is because of it being idle. Is it mIRC cuasing the problem, or mIRC just being a victim of internet cutoff?

mIRC is definitely not causing the problem, it's just being disconnected. The IRC server will "ping" the client every 2 minutes (otherwise TCP can actually handle the connection going physically down) Since your ip is static it's usually possible to reconnect without losing any connections - it depends on the router.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the cause of it disconnecting.

--
Simon
N/A

I can help

Its simple,

Update your drivers for your ADSL connecting device OR if your using the most up to date drivers then uninstall them and try operating under a previous driver version.

Trust me, it will work.

Jay