Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux broadband

smokeyone
Grafter

linux broadband

Hello
As a newbie to linux mepis & currently on a dial up service with plusnet I am wondering about changing over to broadband. I can live with dial up but as it turns out that the easiest way to connect mepis to the internet is with a external modem I might as well spend the cash on broadband.
My question is will it be easy for me to make it work and do plusnet supply the box of tricks and is linux okay with that.
Thanks
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

linux broadband

You need to get an ADSL router not a modem and connect via a network card.

Linux has very little support for modems, especially the USB ones.

Try the netgear DG834.
smokeyone
Grafter

linux broadband

Thanks for the info. Does Plusnet supply the asdl router and does the network card go inside the pc or can it be with the router.
Thanks very much
Community Veteran

linux broadband

Plusnet can supply a router (details here) but the netgear is far superior to the one they have, often at a cheaper price.

Check to see if your PC already has a network connection - most mobos do now. If it does not then all you need is a 10/100Mbs ethernet network card costing £5 - > £10 from any good PC store or order with the router.
smokeyone
Grafter

linux broadband

Thanks for the help.
By netgear do you mean a make of card and that it is better than a plusnet one.

Thanks again
Community Veteran

linux broadband

I mean the router (DG834) which is better than the ones PlusNet offer.

Netgear make both routers (a separate box outside your PC) and network cards that plug into a PCI slot. There are also many other cheap network cards you can use on Linux - it recognises pretty much all cards now - you don't have to use the same make as the router.
smokeyone
Grafter

linux broadband

Really appreciate the advice, thanks for the help.
I have checked my pc & it says
Realtek RTL 8139 PCI Fast Ethernet adapter
I assume that means the card is already installed so all I have to do is shop for
the DG834 router

Thanks again
N/A

netgear really that good?

I had problems with netgear whilst trying to host linuxserver on plusnet.

I use a draytek 2500, I have never had any downtime sinceI joined.

I run debian linux hosting web, dns, postfix and qpopper

all off the plusnet account

The static ip address is just great, I can host unlimited web sites, e-mail and domains.

If you want some help / advice on setting up give me a shout I am happy to help. my Linux community is at www.xylene.com
You can join the web site for free and if you want a shell account / hosting etc mail support@xylene.com

catch you later

J.
Community Veteran

linux broadband

How long ago did you use the netgear. There have been a number of firmware upgrades in the past 6 months that have made a hugh difference to it's reliability and performance, the latest being 2.10.22 which has been by far the best so far. I have 1000s of hours of uptime now, before it was measured in 10s.

I also run linux boxes on my local network and the DG834v2 router has not been a problem since upgrading the firmware.

starclipper, I suspect your motherboard has an on-board network chip. So yes, you already have an ethernet port.
smokeyone
Grafter

linux broadband

Thanks to you both for the advice. While I sort out plusnet for the broadband connection I do have a small mepis problem.
I have also been trying out mepis on a hp laptop, no internet connection, just playing around with it.
I thought everything was fine including sound. However I just found out that the volume/mute buttons do not work on the laptop. The mepis sound mixer works okay but the actual hp buttons do not.
Any ideas please.
Thanks
Community Veteran

linux broadband

Live with it. Sad

It is very unlikely that you will find a driver for the volume control buttons on the laptop.

You could try searching for a Linux forum that covers that model of HP laptop.
But personally I would not hold out much hope

Chilly
N/A

netgear I take it back

Well if it works now thats all gravy.

I'm well chuffed with the service now from the router and the BB connection.

I wish the vigor 2500 supported more than 1public address, so I could host a second server, maybe Christmas present eh !

if anyone wants to peer services from thier linux boxes give me a PM
happy to share.

Cheers

J.
N/A

linux broadband

Peter is right about the Netgear DG834. I have one and I'm entirely happy with it.
However I just found out that the volume/mute buttons do not work on the laptop.
I suggest you have a look at something called LinEAK. I haven't tried it (that's how much I use the extra keys on my keyboard) but it allows you to map keys to actions so that they work in Linux. As I'm not familiar with Mepis I can't say whether you can get compiled packages or not.

Go go Google LinEAK! (thank goodness there's no lameness filter on here like /.)