leaving computers on 24/7 ?

N/A

any views please on leaving a pc on all the time. my pc is packard bell
ixtreme intel pentium 4
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Shouldn't cause any problems I'd leave mine on 24/7 if Mum would let me...
Community Veteran

It should not be a problem leaving your PC on 24/7, but the additional electricity used over the course of a year, could get expensive. For example 100 Watts, running all year is about £35 per annum.

Make sure that the CPU is well cooled, as the one thing that will prematurely age a semiconductor is heat. Combined with continuous running this could reduce life down to a few years, but you will have upgraded by then, and if not, the replacement processor will have fallen in price.

Also if possible have the hard disks spin down after a few hours of inactivity, else the bearings can get noisy. Then again today’s modern hard drives don’t suffer in the same way a few years back.

Chilly
N/A

post subject

many thanks to both of you the tower is in free space and runs two fans
very quietly and has breathing fins both sides . the reason i asked this
question was that my hifi amp has been on for over two years now !!!!!
nad c350a many thanks regards trevor ps plusnet is still the best.
Community Veteran

You could also give a thought for the enviromental damage leaving a PC on all night gives. If there is no reason to leave it on you should turn it off. If you must though you could always consider using something like Grid.org which makes idle PC time more worthwhile than just adding more co2 into the atmosphere.

Chris
shellsong
Grafter

Swings and roundabouts most of the year! The heat emitted during the cooler part of the year is offset by a reduction by the equivalent amount of power by your heating, if it's properly thermostatically controlled, so it's only the nights that get above about 20 degrees Celcius when the power is wasted! Wink Cool

(Unless, of course, you're a penguin and have your central heating set to -18 degrees Celcius! Cheesy )
Community Veteran

Thanks for the heads up shellsong, the wife had turned the thermostat up to -18, ats back at -23 now.

Chilly
N/A

Id say leave its ok to leave your pc 24/7, i have mine on nearly all day and night.

Your pc components will be under the most strain from a cold start anyway.
N/A

I used to leave my computer on for days but now its in my room it goes off over night
N/A

Swings and roundabouts most of the year! The heat emitted during the cooler part of the year is offset by a reduction by the equivalent amount of power by your heating, if it's properly thermostatically controlled, so it's only the nights that get above about 20 degrees Celcius when the power is wasted! Wink Cool

Well unless you have your thermostat in the same room as the PC (or you have an extremely effective air circulation system) then the heat output from the PC will have dissipated before it reaches the thermostat.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Funnily enough the only parts which may suffer from running 24/7 are the various cooling fans as they are the only moving parts which don't stop when the power saving switches in and stops the various drives. Typical mtbf is 20,000 hours on the cheaper fans so you could start seeing problems after a couple of years.
N/A

I am going to swing the other way on this one mainly because of what hotlane mentioned. Fans, but mainly heatsinks when dust gathers can cause serious issues. Leaving a computer on 24/7 will be fine aslong as you check the heatsinks, fans and vents on the PC monthly for blockages.

Obviously the less time a computer is running the less time the fans have of blocking up with dust. Some heatsink designs are really rubbish and they can clog dust up like no tomorrow. This can cause failure of hardware if it leads to temperatures rising.

I think its really depends on why you want it on 24/7 and where the computer is and what hardware it has heh.
N/A

It's been proven that running things like grid.org actually cost you money in the increased current draw of a flat out processor. It's cheaper to leave the PC idle if you have to leave it on 24/7.

Will
shellsong
Grafter

Well unless you have your thermostat in the same room as the PC (or you have an extremely effective air circulation system) then the heat output from the PC will have dissipated before it reaches the thermostat.

My point is that at most times of the year apart from high summer we pump heat into our homes to keep the ambient temperature comfortable and compensate for the thermal losses throught the walls, windows and ceilings of our inadequately insulated houses. A specific wattage will be needed for this on any given day (or night, I should say, but there's a bit of a time lag involved in any thermal input) from which, unless your computer/s is/are in an out house or some part of the house that has no thermal connection to the rest, you can subtract the bulk of your computer's power usage.

Fwiw there is one company that heats its premises mainly with the lights, computers and employees-- it doesn't have a heating bill as such! Wink
N/A

Sure, but with certain exceptions*, the heat output from your PC is unlikely to cause enough of a temperature change to affect your central heating. You might be outputting some heat from the PC, but you're putting it into, say, 12 cubic metres of air, which might be connected to another 60 or so in other rooms. Now I can't remember off-hand what the heat capacity of air is, but I suspect that the temperature change this would cause is so slight as to be irrelevant anywhere outside of the room the PC is in, unless you've got perfect mixing of air and perfect insulation. Instead of it being a PC, just think of it as a radiator. With all the other radiators turned off, do you think it would heat your whole house enough to trip your thermostat (which probably has an accuracy of +-2 degrees) two rooms away?

I'm happy to be proved wrong, of course.
Smiley

* a) Your thermostat is in the same room as your PC, and that same room has the door closed and no heat losses through windows etc, so the heat difference is detectable, or
b) you have very efficient circulation of air through your house, so heat is spread quickly from PC to thermostat, or
c) you have a really really sensitive thermostat