cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lan speed dropped to 10mbps after xp sp1 and 2 install

Community Veteran

I have just reloaded my old pc and moved it downstairs to act as a media pc attached to my tv using media portal.

When I first installed xp the speed the network connected to my router was listed as 100mbps (ethernet cable)

Now I have installed sp1 and 2 the connection has dropped to 10mbps, using same ethernet cable. In theory the connection directly to the router should be 100mbps. The wireless connection from upstairs to downstairs is 54mbps, so i now have a potential bottleneck.

This speed (10mbps)is able to give me realtime tv and dvd footage from my main pc to the tv but is somewhat lower to the original speed. I have tried changing full duplex to half duplex in ethernet settings but no change shows in speed. I have updated realtek drivers as well.

ethernet card Realtek 8028 (as)
router Linksys wgkpc354g-uk

media pc
PII 400 256 mb of ram sounds like a slow pc but is proving fast enough to do the job.

Can anyone suggest how I reclaim the 100mbps pc to router speed.

A
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

All I can suggest is you reinstall the drivers for the network card/chip. Maybe look at the chipset makers website fr up to date mobo chip drivers or the card manufactureres site for updated XP drivers.
Community Veteran

Thanks,

I have done that but I'll try uninstalling again and trying once more. If I've no luck I'll use it wirelessly.

Shame as it site right next to the router.

A
pacem
Grafter

1) Have you tried a different cable?

2) You may be able to configure your router to force a 100Mb connection. There may be some fault in the speed negotiation between your PC and router so configuring the router to only connect that LAN interface at 100Mb should fix it if the drivers in you PC are still capable of doing 100Mb.

Paul.<><
Community Veteran

cheers for the help.

remembered after a whle that it is a base 10/100 card. It has a coaxial connecter as well as a rj45. The coaxial is 100mb the rj45 is 10mb.
so I need to buy a new card.

doh!

A
N/A

You cant get 100 meg on coax so the rj45 is 100 meg most of these cards you can disable the coax and there may be other setting for the card as well.

If its got coax on it must be an old card so a new card would make all the differance anyway and they are so cheap
Community Veteran

Cheers, I'll buy a new card. The current one's are over 8 years old. Anceint in pc terms.

A