cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kubuntu

boone70
Grafter

kubuntu

I have kubuntu version 6.06 on a seperate partition which I have been struggling to get my head round.
I have always had the option to boot into windows XP or kubuntu until I downloaded some updates into Kubuntu. Now when I switch on I am taken straight into kubuntu and do not know how to get my windows back. Can anyone enlighten this baffled silver surfer.
E L
2 REPLIES
N/A

kubuntu

What has happened is its re written the boot drive boot sector or MBR.
When you duel boot what comes up first as this could be criticall?

If you get a windows boot manager then you can boot from the windows cd and choose repair and recovery console. At the prompt type

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

then type fixboot c:

Reboot and it should then boot windows if Linix was in the boot ini it will all be fine.

If you booted into a linux boot manager then the above will destroy the linux boot(the drive will be ok) you would then have to boot the linux cd and redo the boot manager.

You could do it the other way around and boot from the linux cd and if there is a util with that to set the MBR back use that. I would guess you wouldnt know how to do that if your learining.
boone70
Grafter

kubuntu

Thank you very much mright. I think I will wait for my son to return from holiday to sort it out for me as he is the one who installed Linux and is trying to get me to use open source.
In the meantime I can still use my browser and email
Thanks again. :?