cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing win 98se onto a compaq armada 1592 DT

N/A

lo folks, im stuck ive got a laptop im supposed to be giving to my 11 year old neice in the morning for her birthday, problem is its been formatted ready for me to install 98se but when i switch it on with the boot floppy i get the A:\> to which i type d:win98\ but get no response except the A:\> again ive tried e:win98\ but get the same response, please help as im running out of time, ive no idea why i cant seem to run the cd to install. thanx in advance. :?:
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Could be that the boot floppy is faulty.
Can you go into the bios and set it so that it will boot from the CD?
Most modern sysems will boot from CD and the Windows98 2nd edition CD is definately bootable.
N/A

definitely sounds like a buggered up boot disc.

if you can't get onto a windows 98 machine to create a new one - http://www.biazzi.org/docs/boot98se.exe
Tiger50
Grafter

CDROM drivers

If you cannot get you laptop to boot from cd rom, and you have a 98 machine, I would suggest you create a 98 startup disk that will give you cdrom support.

You will then be able to access the cdrom and type setup to load windows..

You will also need all the drivers for the laptop, which you can get from the compaq website.......(video, sound, ect)

If you need a boot disk with cdrom support let me know

Regards

Ray
N/A

that's what the download i linked to does - it creates a boot disc without having to have 98 installed.
N/A

thanx to u all, got it sorted in th end, it was a faulty boot disc, had to trawl *98* to find the setup file but got there in the end, thanx again peeps Cheesy