cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing sata2 hard /drive

N/A

got a asrock deul sata2 m/b "how do i install the hard drive i have a western digital wd1600js 160gb sata2 300gb 8mb

can i still use my old hdd a 120gb samsung ide for a spare drive for saving data and will i have to format this drive or leave xp on it .

ps: got the cable for the sata2 drive i have been on the western website and cannot understand were to go from here ie: do i make a boot disk for the hdd or use the bios to setup.......
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

on my computer you need to set it up on the bios, some of them have a wee wizard that guides you through it, you will obviously need to wire it in to your computer 1st and yes you should be able to use IDE and Sata Together

If you want to use your old drive you will need to format it after you have installed Windows onto your new drive
holdtight
Grafter

Yes as Andy said you can use your sata and ide drives together on the same mobo just make sure the bios is set to boot from the sata drive and sata add in card before you install the operating system and all should be fine
N/A

for some installations the windows xp setup routines don't see or want to install on the sata drive. If this happens to you, you will need to press F6 during the first setup stages (it prompts you) then insert a floppy with the manufactures sata drivers on. It will then use them to get started.

Chris
N/A

SATA is different to IDE, it doesn’t work on master/slave etc it just uses SATA1 SATA2 and so on. You don’t need to install drivers either.

For your system i would setup XP on your SATA drive and leave the IDE drives on as they are set on master/slave

When you setup XP just choose the SATA drive and away you go, no need to set as boot drive in bios.
N/A

You don’t need to install drivers either.

This might well be right for your board, but on my abit an7 board if I do a fresh install of XP and don't press F6 to install the mass storage drivers it doesn't find any hard drives on my system and refuses to install.

This is because windows XP Pro doesn't contain any mass storage drivers for the silicon image 3112a sata interface and therefore is unable to 'see' any HDDs attached to the interface.
N/A

This might well be right for your board, but on my abit an7 board if I do a fresh install of XP and don't press F6 to install the mass storage drivers it doesn't find any hard drives on my system and refuses to install.

Yep.....my reply was to rtparry

The OP is using an Asrock Duel Sata2 motherboard so he dosent need to install Sata drivers.
N/A

sata2

thanks all for you information

will the hard drive run on the external data transfer rate of 300mbps or 150

i have my dvd rw and dvd rom set up as pri master and pri sec master
hard drive on sec master because the cable to short
N/A

sata2 speed

sata2 setup do i remove the jumpers at the back of the hard drive to get the 300gbps

it said in the manual if you want to enable sata11 3.0gb/s please remove the jumpers from 5 and 6