cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing drivers with no .exe file

Brickinit
Grafter

i have downloaded xp drivers for an old motherboard, it has onboard graphics, and also an agp slot. i have win xp installed so the original drivers will not install as they are not compatable for use with xp. the downloaded drivers come in a zip file, but when extracted has no instalation file,this is the same with the sound card drivers. can anyone point me in the right direction as there appears no way to say add new hardware and add an agp slot or pci drivers for sound or modem
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Can you post a link to the files you have downloaded so we can take a look. i.e. the original URL. where you downloaded them from, not a link to your copy.

Also the make/model of your mobo may help as well.
Brickinit
Grafter

hi peter thanks for the reply the file came from here

http://www.matsonic.com/new/downloaddata/driver_ss478a.htm#ms8308e_series

as you can see it is the matsonic ms8308e mobo, bit long in the tooth now but needed something to use some old sdram
Community Veteran

Ok, it uses an inf file to install the driver files.

Extract the files in the zip file to a folder and change to it.

right click on the inf file and click install.

Just follow the instructions that follow (been ages since I did this so cant help much here). If it asks for the location of any files browse to your current directory where the files are.

Do the same for your sound drivers.

Hopefully that should do it, you may need to reboot after installing the drivers.
Brickinit
Grafter

thanks peter that worked ok. i just have to find the AGP driver now as they only show the onboard sis graphics driver. but i shall remember your help when i find it.
Brickinit
Grafter

i'm going off at a bit of a tangent now but i can't find an AGP driver linked directly to the matsonic ms8308e mobo, but as it is using sis chipset would i be right in thinking that the AGP driver on the sis website will do the job? anyone got any ideas?

http://www.sis.com/

this is their website

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Stray URL tag and large space removed for you.]
Community Veteran

That's a tricky one as sometimes board manufacturers use the chipsets in slightly different ways or have specially modified chipset drivers to fit their hardware config. So the recomendation is almost always to use the drivers supplied by the board manufacturer.

However, I have checked the drivers on the matsonic site you gave and it looks like they are just supplying the generic SiS drivers.

So, if you want to do some experimenting I suggest you download the AGP and IDE drivers from SiS website - you can choose them on this page.

As far as I can tell you need:

chipset software -> AGP (GART) Driver -> WinXP
chipset software -> IDE driver -> WinXP

If you want to get the Sis version of the files for the ones you have already:

Audio Driver -> sis7018 -> WinXP (this is actually the same as the matsonic version)
Network Driver -> sis900 & integrated -> WinXP (the SiS version appears to be identical to the matsonic except the compression is slightly different which explains the filesize difference)

And finally the drivers for your graphics card which you give no details for.
N/A

Make sure there is a system restore point before updating any drivers you are not too sure about.
Brickinit
Grafter

thanks for the help that worked just fine the onboard ethernet was picked up ok, and the agp port works ok with the chipset drivers from SIS.this will be worth remembering if anyone else is doing an upgrade to XP using an older mobo.