cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iefeatureversion

N/A

iefeatureversion

After booting up my PC or changing user, a dialog box appears with
iefeatureversion. The server name or address could not be resolved.
I click on OK and another box appears headed with Version and two choices
either TODOTongueLACE or cancel. After this a run time error box appears with Microsoft visual C++ runtime library
program:c:\windows\system32\iefeatureversion.exe
Abnormal program termination.
This is eventually cleared by clicking OK on the various booxes that appear after, these just seem to have lists of numbers.
It has not been picked up y virus scan or spyware.
Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any ideas how to resolve it.
Any help will be appreciated.
5 REPLIES
N/A

iefeatureversion

This is certainly a virus or spyware as it is not a MS system file.
Find it and rename it first (maybe to .bak) and see how you get on.
Community Veteran

iefeatureversion

http://de.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/security_info/ve_detail.php?id=57203&VName=TROJ_IEFEATS.A

Sounds like a browser hijack trojan. The link suggests scanning with trend micro online scanner (see link at end of page) so see if that picks it up.

Are your vires defs up to date? if not that may explain why it was not picked up. What anti-virus scanner do you use and what is the date of your virus defs file.

Try sone of the online scanners listed in . I also suggest you download spybot search & destroy and Adaware and run both (after updating with the latest databases)
N/A

iefeatureversion

Firstly I would just like to thanks for all your advice. I followed the link to Trend Micro and scanned my system. Sure enough the Trojan was detected and deleted.
In answer to questions about virus scanners I had installed McAfee V8.0, checked for updates and scanned my computer, I also downloaded and ran Spybot before posting this on the forum.
This brings me onto a second problem that I had yesterday. My modem settings (Binatone ADSL 500) would not hold my username and password so I was unable to connect to the internet, Binatone Tech. support advised to remove McAfee antivirus software as it can cause such problems (the same applies to Norton). They advised to use Grisoft AVG antivirus software, A fully functional, fully updatable free version is available on their web site, I followed this advice and so far no problems. Hope this may be of use to others. Once again thanks for your help. Cheesy
N/A

iefeatureversion

I would certainly prefer McAfee to any other virus software.
The fact that Binatone suggest that you not use McAfee or Norton, would indicate that the Binatone system page uses dodgy ActiveX or Java script which both McAfee & Norton will detect and stop (ActiveX, without any notification to user). The "free" virus software obviously does not detect ActiveX or bad Java well and hence will leave you more vunerable.
You can disable the ActiveX scanning component within McAfee V8, save the passwords etc, then re-enable the ActiveX scanning.
N/A

iefeatureversion

Thanks for the advice, when I get a chance I'll give it a try.