cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home network PC - Mac

N/A

home network PC - Mac

Hello,

I have 2 desktop PCs - a PC Athlon 64 3000 running XP Home edition and a Power Mac G4 400 running OS X 10.2.8. Both have network cards already in them. My PlusNet broadband connects via an External USB modem on a PC.

I do have RJ-45 cross over cable connectim them as well but no luck in getting these two to talk. The relevant online documrntaion is proving to be a bit difficult to find.

:shock:
Any ideas on how to network and settings to use would be appreciated.

Cheers.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

home network PC - Mac

You need to run ICS (internet connection sharing) on the windws PC. This will then link your local network to the USB port and allow your Mac to access the internet. Just seach for ICS in Windows help.

Also if you have a software firewall running on the WIndows PC, you may need to configure it to allow your local network to access the USB modems network.

Also if you are running ZoneAlarm Free then that will not work when using ICS.
N/A

home network PC - Mac

Ok, that is an answer to a part of the problem... I still need to get my PC to see the MAC on the network...
I did try network wizard but to no sucess... It sees only the PC portion of the network.
I am interested in setting up a simple network, 2 PCs, a crosssover cable, no hub. Tought it should be pretty straight forward.
N/A

home network PC - Mac

What do you mean by "see" the Mac? Are you expecting to see it in the Network Neighbourhood?

I have OSX 10.3 on mine but I think it was the same in 10.2. In the System Preferences, go to Sharing and enable "Windows File Sharing". You might also need to change the filewall to allow the traffic through (still in the Sharing pane, but in the Firewall tab).

The third tab allows Internet connection sharing, but if you're modem is on the PC that won't be of much use!

HTH,
--> Stephen
N/A

home network PC - Mac

If possible yes....

I have personal file sharing and windows file sharing on in system preferences. Firewall is not on. .. I can access PC shareable folders from Mac by using smb address option but nothing the other way around... What am I not doing right?
N/A

home network PC - Mac

I don't have a Windows PC, but I did play around using Virtual PC which was running a copy of XP Pro.

I found that the Mac didn't appear in the Network Neighbourhood but I could map to a network drive by typing \\192.168.1.11\stephend.

It is possible to get the Mac to appear in the Network Neighbourhood. OSX uses Samba, just like Linux, to work with Windows and my Fedora box magically appears in XP. However I guess you'd have to edit the config file by hand or download some shareware (that I assume does exists) to do it for you. This is not for the faint of heart. I accidentally disabled the network of a FTSE250 company by badly configuring Samba!

I think that's a long way of saying I don't know why it doesn't work for you...

--> Stephen
N/A

home network PC - Mac

The latest news is that I did manage to access Mac files (and vice versa) by using Samba and ICS.
I had to create user profile with the option to log in from Windows. In My Network Places just choose to add network place and hey presto it's there.
Mac connects to XP by using Connect to server command in Finder. You have to navigate to your choosen server.

Still can't work out how to share my broadband internet connection. In XP Network connection window my PlusNet connection ICS is configured to be shared but it doesn't make much difference - or I don't know how to point Mac to connect to it.
N/A

home network PC - Mac

To get them to tlk u will require the windows xp cd. I have done this we 2 pcs. But i am sure it might be the same we mac and pc. On the xp cd there is files to obtain