cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help please

N/A

help please

my main pc running win xp pro.1gb mem ect 2 x hd as failed wontboot up from scratch into bios, wont recognise slave hd i need to getb into safe mode butcant please any help chaps appreciated, thx ANT
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

help please

Not sure I fully understand the extent of the problem.
Will it boot into bios but not windows or not even bios.
If it will boot into bios you could try booting using the windows disk

If it won't boot into bios then it's not an XP problem.

Does your motherboard support any diagnostics during the boot process.
N/A

boot up

it will boot up enough for me to get into the bios, i can check certain thinfgs then allow normal boot up procedure BUT, does not complete ask me for boot disk?? it was fine last night ,now this ,if i could get into safe mode, choose recent configuration? im running win xp, so i dont have a boot disk as such ,
the wierd thing is in the bios its not regocnising slave hd, but recognises cd and dvd disk?? thx ant help appreciated ta Ant
Community Veteran

help please

If it won't get past BIOS then you need to see at which point it stops. If nothing appears on screen at all then its the motherboard, memory, videocard or cpu.
Does the computer make any beeps during bootup? The number of beeps indicates an error cade and will help track down the problem.
shellsong
Grafter

help please

You could try booting up from a Linux live CD if you can get one-- you can do a lot of diagnosis and sorting of Win setups from Linux!

Anyway, don't you have a recovery CD?
N/A

beeps 1

I get 1 beep on boot up past bios stage then blank page with a blinkin cursor if i hit enter i get inset correct boot disk?
Community Veteran

help please

ok so its getting past bios fine. You don't have any floppy disks in the drive or anything do you? Also check the boot sequence in BIOS, it should normally point to C (or A, D, C) both would be fine assuming you dont have a floppy or bootable cd in the machine. Also does the hard dsk get detected in BIOS?

If the boot sequence checks out ok then its a software problem. Either with windows or maybe the master boot record perhaps.
Do you have a windows emergancy floppy disk? If so boot to that and run any disagnostics.
N/A

help please

the nly windows disk i have is a floppy boot disk for win me. iv tried to get into diagnostics and just done a scan on the c drive but no probs found!!
dont know where too go from here did wonder about re installing win xp , its a legit copy so will it accept the key that camehx with it?? an T
Community Veteran

help please

Before you do that I am a bit concerned that the bios doesn't see the slave disk.
That seems to imply a possible motherboard/connection problem.
The fact that it asks for the correct boot disk could mean that its not seeing the hard drives properly.
I assume that when you are in the bios it does see the master hard drive.
Also I am a bit surprised that Windows ME disk will check the hard drive as I would have expected it to be formatted in NTFS not FAT32.
If you have another PC running XP and an XP CD you could create a BartPE boot disk as this will effectively boot into windows but without needing to boot from the hard drive.
This is a really useful tool not least because it will allow you to move any files to another location before reinstalling XP.
It can be downloaded here http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
N/A

help please

If you disconect the second drive will it boot?
Have you got a xp cd? If so boot from that and choose recovery consul and then type fixboot when its done type fixmbr reboot and see if it works
Community Veteran

help please

Just seen this article which seems to give a method of repairing a windows install without losing all the settings
N/A

help please

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago.
If you open your PC and check your IDE cable connections you'll probably find (if you push quite firmly on all connections) that it has worked loose slightly.