N/A

help needed

Hi completely new to this and need help setting up a belkin router :lol:
17 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

help needed

Hi Michelle

Not much to go on is there and we will definately need more info than that to be able to help you

Have you followed the instruction manual to the letter (important) and got stuck somewhere along the way ? is it wired or wireless im assuming wireless and what part of the set up process are you having problems with

Try going through the manual slowly and see how far you get with it, i know the manuals are not particularly good which doesnt help new users

You might find having a look through the easy install wizard on the belkin site helpful as its a flash demo on installation if not get back to us

Bill.
N/A

help needed

hi thanks for response im stuck at the begining it says to take cable connected between modem and networking port on my comp there isnt one lol modem is connected via phone socket and usb :roll:
N/A

help needed

..RTFM..
N/A

help needed

which translated means :?:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

help needed

If the router you have bought doesn't support a USB connection as well as a network connection then you will need to add a network card to your computer.
Have a careful look first at your computer - does it have an onboard LAN (local area network) connection on the motherboard
Edit - please advise the model of Belkin router you bought
chrisco
Grafter

help needed

..RTFM..

That's totally uncalled for why would Michelle be asking for help if she'd have done what you suggest :shock:

Michelle it means Read the f*****g manual, it must be Geek Speak.

Chris Cole
Community Veteran

help needed

which translated means :?:

An extremely rude abbreviation - so please don't "google" it
N/A

help needed

I have bought a belkin G 802.11g . It does not support a usb connection and my computer has a WLAN link light on the frount if this is any help

I did google it thanks hotlane and this is why your a bright spark and buzzons isnt thanks for everyones help very much appreciated
Community Veteran

help needed

Not really Michelle.
Can you have a look at the back of the computer and see if there is a port which matches the network cable. Edit - Looks the same as the network connector on the router
Assuming you are on XP if you go into start/settings/network connections what does it say.
If you don't have a network connection the best solution is to add a network card but if you aren't confident of doing that you could get this usb to ethernet adapter providing your computer supports usb2.
N/A

help needed

it has a port with three computers on that the cable fits into and on connection settings i have dial up, broadband and LAN or high speed internet with 3 connections 1 active is 1394 connection dunno what this means though Shockedops:
Community Veteran

help needed

The 1394 is a Firewire Card which isn't what we are talking about.
Although I don't have your system I suspect that the dialup is your normal modem - not broadband and the broadband is your USB ADSL moden.
It appears that you may not have a network connection on your computer.
If you can confirm this by looking at the back of the computer for the correct socket.
Checking your router model it seems to be a wireless router.
Why did you want a wireless router - do you have a wireless card in your PC or a USB wireless adapter.
It may be possible to return it and get a router which gives USB and Ethernet support such as the Speedtouch 536
N/A

help needed

I have the correct socket in the back I wanted a wireless because i want to hook it up to my computer upstairs the router came with a usb adapter my computer is not very old i bought it from pc world in november so i would have thought it was ready for networking i may have to get someone out to have a look because i dont know ,much about them .. This is my system

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1514498248.1146232373@@@@&BV_En...
shellsong
Grafter

help needed

I just had a quick google and found that your computer has a dire shortage of information on it and may well be discontinued! It seems uncertain whether it has network connectivity or not and no manuals appear to be available online. Without seeing it, it is difficult to know just what you have there

Gerry
holdtight
Grafter

help needed

Yes Michelle your system does come ready with a network port and if you look at the back it looks very much like the modem port just slightly wider this is where you should connect your router to

If your still not sure which one it is try your network cable up against it as its the only port it will fit into

Once done you should be able to access the web page set up with a number like 192.168.1.1 or similar but that should be in the manual

Its Here Gerry under features and spec right at the bottom