cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help-- cant reconnect after dropping connection

N/A

Help ...

imm using w2k and a binatone 500 usb modem i keep getting disconected from the net this is not a problem in its self cos i'mm pretty sure ive got a dodgy hard drive which is taking up all the processor time so i get disconected when the modem cant talk to the cpu so immm swapping the hard drive -

anyway the problem is that i cant reconnect- just sits at "dialing blah blah" untill i disable then re enable the usb device (modem) or pull out the usb plug into the modem and put it back in

ps the modem is showing ok in the modem dialog box (link ok and talking to modem at exchange end)

--elp
4 REPLIES
N/A

This is a problem with USB devices in general if the 'data stall' is due to overload. The driver will not reinitialise the data stream and the only way of restarting is to do exactly what you have been doing.
It is a similar situation to a system crash, but in this instance it is the USB data stream.
It should go away when you change your HD, providing the HD is actually the fault.
N/A

cheers

i'mm trying another hd with an xp build to try and pin down the problem
is there any way to reserve processor time for my usb controller?
Community Veteran

no.
N/A

It may not only be CPU overhead that is the problem. The power supply could not be man enough to do the job. Power supply issues are quite common with USB and old HD's are power hungry.