cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hard drives

N/A

hard drives

hi,ive got a 120 gb and a 80 gb harddrives in my pc,could someone tell me if i put a third harddrive in my pc ,will it make it unstable ,as ive been told it will or will i be better getting an external hd ,cheers p

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Thread moved to more appropriate forum.]
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran

hard drives

You can have a total of 4 hard disks connected to the stardard primary and secondary controllers on most motherboards if you wanted, althouth having a CD/DVD drive is pretty much a must have no-a-days.

It should work fine. I'm not sure where you got the 'it will be unstable' from though.
N/A

hard drives

ok ,its from a local guy who fixes/upgrades my pc now and again,i think ill put a 250 in anyway ,cheers
zpeterk
Grafter

hard drives

If you have sata you can have more
zpeterk
Grafter

hard drives

If you have sata you can have more
N/A

hard drives

excuse my ignorance but what is sata?
N/A

hard drives

SATA = Serial ATA.

It's the oposite of PATA (Parallel ATA, or as used more commonly until now, ATA).

There is no restriction on getting only SATA to have more drives. You can get IDE BUS cards for ATA drives.

You could also use SCSI.
N/A

hard drives

Many MB have raid controlers which lets you have more drive. I think the point the guy was making was hd=more power used=more heat in the case.

All these are not a problem if the case if coolded properly and the power pack is good enough
Community Veteran

hard drives

ok ,its from a local guy who fixes/upgrades my pc now and again,i think ill put a 250 in anyway ,cheers

You may have problems with that size drive and your BIOS recognising all of it. Especially if it's an older PC. It may also depends on the Windows version (assuming you are using windows) as to whether it can be used or not.

Best to check before you buy the drive or know what to do to get it recognised.
N/A

hard drives

my pc is less than 1 year old ,using xp pro ,everything else is up 2 scratch (i think)processor etc ...
holdtight
Grafter

hard drives

i have three hard drives in my system running XP with no
problems at all, they were all detected fine and there are no
instabilities, (never heard of that one)

just to requote what peter said
if you have a fairly up to date system it should be fine
you tend to get problems only with older pc`s with older bios`s
that will either not detect them at all or give an incorrect size.
Community Veteran

hard drives

There is one point here that no one has yet mentioned and that is the fact that the third drive will more than likely be sharng its IDE cable with the CD ROM.

Although this will not prevent it from working it is never a good idea to have your hard drive and CD ROM on the same IDE as it will only work at the speed of the slower device. i.e. the CD ROM.

The best practice is to keep all fast devices like hard drives on one IDE cable and your slower ones like CD's on a seperate cable.

So you may actually be better off by replacing the smaller of you existing hard drives with the new higher capacity one rather than having all 3 in together.
N/A

hard drives

john.. can you link us to some hard evidence of that... cos im sure its not true :S
N/A

hard drives

I agree with John, as far as I know, and have been told in the past, sharing a deivce with a optical drive is not a good idea, if the shared device is quicker than the cdrom, it will only run as fast as the mode supported by the cdrom, and vice versa, in that it could make the cdrom work slower..... however saying that.... I have seen a hard drive be detected at mode5, and the optical drive at mode2, whether the hard drive was actually operating at those speeds.... I've no idea.... not one for messing bout with benchtesting... if it works, and seems to be quick... that'll do me Smiley

you can add more ide drives via the use of pci ide controller cards, as to how many you can use, I've seen a motherboard with onboard raid (max 8 hdds) with a pci ide raid controller (4 more hdds) work without a problem, so you could essentially use all your pci slots with ide controller cards, provided you have enough space in your case, and get the required amount of power splitters Smiley
Community Veteran

hard drives

john.. can you link us to some hard evidence of that... cos im sure its not true :S

I never used to beleive it either untill I built a machine for someone who wanted to use it for video editing and found that his videoe kept pausing and skipping frames.
I followed the advice that used to appear in the PC magazines at the time and put the cd drive on IDE2 instead of sharing IDE1 with the hard drive.

The result was smooth video which to me proved the PC magazines correct.