cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hard drive, which one?

N/A

hard drive, which one?

hmm i am thinking of purchasing a new hard drive, capacity of about 80gig-120gig erm i am just unsure of which company to go with. much appreciated if someone can suggest me one, preferably the best :]

thx
9 REPLIES
N/A

hard drive, which one?

I recently bought an 80 gig seagate drive from ebuyer.
had no problems except partioning drive, fdisk couldn't cope with the size of the drive.
downloaded a utility from seagate, made it much easier than fdisk anyway and worked first time.
I have 5 partitions and store applications, data, music, videos without any trouble.
As with probably most people found ebuyer cheap and fine as long as it works,
returning goods a bit of a nightmare, but i have and still use them, only one bad item out of 25-30.
N/A

hard drive, which one?

umm i didnt mean where to buy from i meant companies that produce hard drives, i would like to know the best 1 \o/ ty
Community Veteran

hard drive, which one?

I've used a variety of harddisks in my time, I've found Seagate and Conner / Excelstor drives to be noisey and slow.
Maxtor are ok as are Western Digital.

Fujitsu / Siemens drives have always been good for me as have IBM / Hitachi disks, although I've seen 2 IBM laptop disks fail in under a year of having them, but similarly I've got tons more that have worked for in excess of 5 years. It's often hard to find Fujitsu drives and the few I find are quite expensive, so my advice would be to go for the IBM (now hitachi) Deskstar series

Personally I always choose based on cache size, disk access times and RPM. I don't really worry about the size too much.

Chris
N/A

hard drive, which one?

i bought a 80gig maxtor Diamondmax Plus9 7200rpm ATA133 hd in march. its amazingly fast and quiet Cheesy had no problems with it

take a look at Tom's Hardware Guide as i'm sure there is a HD review somewhere Wink

johnathan

[edit] just found this review
N/A

hard drive, which one?

I recently bought an 80 gig seagate drive from ebuyer.
had no problems except partioning drive, fdisk couldn't cope with the size of the drive.
downloaded a utility from seagate, made it much easier than fdisk anyway and worked first time.
I have 5 partitions and store applications, data, music, videos without any trouble.
As with probably most people found ebuyer cheap and fine as long as it works,
returning goods a bit of a nightmare, but i have and still use them, only one bad item out of 25-30.

Fdisk isn't designed to cope with the new sized drives Cry

I've got an 80GB HDD at the mo and will probably get the same again - Seagate... Maxtor are not as good... :?
robcr
Grafter

hard drive, which one?

i bought a 80gig maxtor Diamondmax Plus9 7200rpm ATA133 hd in march. its amazingly fast and quiet Cheesy had no problems with it

take a look at Tom's Hardware Guide as i'm sure there is a HD review somewhere Wink

johnathan

[edit] just found this review

I too bought one of these Hdd's several months ago no problems easy to set up and partition.I also bought a 40Gb too.
N/A

hard drive, which one?

i also have a 30gb hd that came with my pc, but both my 80 and 30 are nearly full :twisted: so i'm looking to get the 120gb maxtor soon Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

hard drive, which one?

If they aren't Maxtor or Western Digital, I won't even go near them. (last one's I had that weren't (was a Diamondmax) sort of died after a few days, never trusted them since)
N/A

hard drive, which one?

ooooooo lots of choices \o/ ty for the help Smiley