cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hard drive questions

slanjavah
Grafter

hard drive questions

Wondering if any one can answer a question. I have 80g hard drive which has been formatted as 2 40gb drives.
My question is can wipe it, and is there any advantage of having it as a single 80g drive and if so how do i go about it?

I also have a seperate 40g drive. Can i install another op system and if so how do i change from one to other?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

hard drive questions

Removing the partitions and having the drive as one 80gig has no advantage that I can think of.
In fact I always split my drives into several smaller ones which has advantages as follows.

1. You can be tidier in file storage by having certain types of files on certain drives.
2. The biggest advantage comes when de-fragmenting. One 80gig takes forever. with a number of smaller drives (partitions) you can de frag each one as needed and much quicker.
3. I keep C drive just for windows and all data pictures and software files are on other drives. this means that should I need to clean up windows by wiping drive C all of my data is safe and not wiped as well.

In answer to your other questions. Yes you could install another drive as well as the 80 gig.
Yes you could have a second or third operating system on the other drive or indeed in another partition on the same drive.

Hope this answers your query.
slanjavah
Grafter

hard drive questions

Thanks for the reply understand what you say and it does make sense. Think i need to take a long hard look at info and organise.
How do you go between op systems do you get option on boot which op system to use
Community Veteran

hard drive questions

How do you go between op systems do you get option on boot which op system to use

Basically yes you can select which one to use at boot up.
N/A

hard drive questions

Agree with John.
Also,You could use a dual boot system such as 'Bootstar'
Your 80gig hard drive is set up as primary master and split into two
40gig partitions. You could have a different operating system on each partition
(basically they behave as two seperate drives 2 computers in one). You can gain access to each system at start up (each one is named individually).
Your 40 gig second drive is set up as secondary slave used for extra files storage and backup if one of your operating systems fail.
Each operating system would have access to the second 40 gig(slave) drive.
Look up 'Bootstar'.
slanjavah
Grafter

hard drive questions

cheers. ill get to it if any probs i'll shout for help thats onethinb about +net always some there willing to help