cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hard drive ide or sata2 ???

N/A

got a old 120gb hard drive in the computer and a new motherboard asrock duel-sata2 939
ide or sat2 witch is the best

i have heard that the sata drive is hard to set up
HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?? HuhHuh?
5 REPLIES
zpeterk
Grafter

I've had no problems with asus mb's but see here
N/A

I've had no problems with asus mb's but see here
zpeterk
Grafter

I was only showing an example of the problems encountered with a sata drive therefore implying that a pata drive would be less problematic as there appears to little preformance gain unless you use raid
N/A

SATA all the way.

If you want to upgrade in the future, there will be loads more choice of HDDs out there. Plus it's faster too,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

A couple of points to watch.
When you boot up with a sata drive make sure raid isn't enabled in the bios by default as this will mess you up badly unless of course you intend to use raid. This is a problem with some Gigabyte boards but I don't know about Asrock.

The other thing to watch is if you want to use a sata drive and a pata drive in the same machine.
If the pata drive is to be the boot drive no problems but if you want to use the new sata drive as your boot drive with XP you will need to install XP without the pata drive connected. The reason for this is that XP puts files on the pata drive even though its been told to install on the sata drive and everything can go pear shaped.
Given all that I would still definitely go sata myself.