cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hard disc problem

cookie141
Grafter

hard disc problem

Running 2 h/d,s .Xp on the master,98 on the slave. I have installed "Boot up Manager" so i can boot either op system.
The prob is when I boot 98 it only loads so far then i get an error message that is C\windows\system\shlwapi.dll is missing. I sign in my password then i get the message "reinstall windows".
The procedure i have used to do thisis as follows
1. Booted up xp and uninstalled "Boot up Manager"
2. Disconnected the main drive and connected the ide cable soley to the slave with 98 on it which i have adusted the jumpers to master.
When i boot up i get a message "I/O error replace disk and press any key"
upon i get the message --Boot from Hard Disc or CD
Click on either and it takes me no further
3. Booted up from win boot disc to find it stops after awhile and does not load completley.
The funny thing is when they are both connected together and running xp I can still read the other drive (9Cool
Also checked the drive for errors and none were found
The main problem is I cannot reinstall Win 98
Any Ideas would be grateful.
P.s I do not want 2 format the drive
Cheers Cookie.
9 REPLIES
N/A

hard disc problem

Cookie,

I'm having a similar problem with 2 hard drives, but trying to run 98se first and XP on the latter drive, so a master and dlave situation again.

Check my thread HDD woes.

I've now managed to fdisk and reformat the drive, but there are errors on the disk which weren't there before, I'm looking for some software to repair the hard drive.

I was running Bootmagic 8, but the only hard drive it would pick up was the 98se. If I resolve this issue, I'll let you know what I've done.

Question: Did you also install XP as an upgrade or as a clean install?

This is what my friend has done on his computer, just a thought.

witty
cookie141
Grafter

Thanks 4 the reply
Xp was a upgrade and everything was running perfect until the other day.
Also checked both discs for viruses and they r ok
N/A

hard disc problem

Cookie

Not sure what hdd you have, but after some research, friends hdd being seagate, there can be a BIOS issue (limitation). If your hdd is a seagate go to www.seagate.com/support/index.html you can download free software to resolve this issue. However, if your hdd is another make, check out their website to see if they have relevant information.

regards
witty
cookie141
Grafter

hard disc problem

Cheers Witty
The Drive is Weston Digital 30gb
Used A:sys C: System transfer and got the drive to boot.
But it only boots so far ....again it is saying it is missing the shlwapi.dll file.
and asks for a reinstall.
Booted from floopy and went 2 setup from win98 cd
Message came up "Windows set up requires Largest executable programme size to be at least 442368 bytes to run".....
The drive is partioned (30gb) staight split 15/15 C: D:
Could this have anything to do with setup?
N/A

hard disc problem

are you trying to recover ur data or just wanna to use dual boot , i personally dont use extra boot manager programs as i ve had few problems and went back to good old fdisk : )

u said u got 2 drives , if u ask my oppinion i ll set them as :

Delete everything and start fresh
use fdisk to make 2 partitions in 30 gb drive , something like 15 gb each or depends on which 1 u gonna use most.
install win98 SE on partition 1
once installed run winxp cd within win98 and choose new install and install it on ur second partition , this way on boot up u ll have boot menu showing each os.

and the second disk , use it for ur downloads etc....
cookie141
Grafter

hard disc problem

Delete everything and start fresh
r u asking 2 format ------ if so i do not want 2 i have all my work on it
N/A

hard disc problem

The correct way to duel boot is to have a partion under 2 gig for win98 and a second partion for xp both on the same drive. System commander is the best tool for this job as it will set up the drive for you and save all the files.

The problem lies with the boot record in that it is only very small so it cant boot past about 1.8 gig or onto drive d: as the numbers are to big to fit in the boot record. What happens is you actualy boot from drive c: with the boot files and then use drive d:

Some boot managers get around the problem by loading the master boot record with a pointer to there software which when loaded has enough space to then load from another drive etc.

Because the numbers are to big you can then get the problems you are having thats why system commander can hide partions from other o/s so thing like this dont happen.

I have seen some shareware bootmanagers which claim to boot to any drive but it does change MBR on drive 2 to do it, strangley all bootmangers are written in germany
N/A

hard disc problem

Cookie,

Have you tried searching the web for the relevant dll? I'm sure I've seen a dll library somewhere on the web during my travels.

Any chance of saving your work and then reformatting? Unfortunately sometimes its the best thing to do when you have a problem.

http://www.dll-files.com/

Hope that helps you.

witty
cookie141
Grafter

ok guys

Cheers For the advice guys..... I have installed System Commander and formatted my second drive and reinstalled win 98 and everythings AOK
Again cheers guys
Cookie