cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

groundhog day xp install!!

trexalan
Grafter

My brothers trying to install xp on his pc & it goes fine till set up has to reboot then it starts all over again, wots the best way to deal with this?
Ive come across this problem before but cant remember wot i did to sort it, i know it something simple.

Any ideas?
Phil
3 REPLIES
N/A

There is an error in the boot table.
You will have to FDisk and format the disk again to be sure of getting rid of the problem.
NOTE: the error could have come about bescause you have some hardware that is not compatable with WIndows XP.
Also, it is a good idea to turn off "boot sector virus protection" in the BIOS while trying to install any OS.
N/A

The one that allways stands out and we have all done it is leaving the bootable cd in the drive so it boots from the cd again and starts another install
N/A

lo,are you upgrading to xp or doing a clean install? what chipset is on your mobo?memory errors can cause weird problems in installs more so with nvidia chipsets.does your xp disc have service pack 1 with it? a larger partition can be required after format for it,DR dos works pretty well for setting up a clean install with xp,you should be able to get it or something similar on the support pages of your hard drive makers web site.if you are upgrading from an existing windows install its best to run scan/check disk first for errors and defrag,xp will want to install itself in 1 solid block on your hdd.good luckSmiley