cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

grafix cards

jabb0
Grafter

grafix cards

im running an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 265mb on an AGPx8 bus.
I want to buy X3 - The Reunion, but my current card wont cut it. The last time i looked at grafix cards PCI Express and SLI were brand new on the scene but that requires a new mobo and thats too big a step.

1)What is the top line AGPx8 card out thereHuh
this line is at least a generation old so i dont know if i can get any big performace increase over what i have already got.

2)If not would putting the money toward some fancy ram do the trick?
or any other suggestions

cheers
17 REPLIES
N/A

grafix cards

The best AGP card you can get is an X850XT PE, but that will cost you £250 at least, you would be mad to spend that amount on an AGP card now.

High end AGP cards are no longer made so it’s pushing the current price of AGP cards up. PCI-E is the way forward, either save up and get a new motherboard and card or stick with what you have. A RAM upgrade won’t help.

Current prices that I have seen: X850XT AGP £250, X850XT PCI-E £170. Another possibility could be to get a second hand AGP card of eBay to tide you over but you will have to go the PCI-E route eventually, as will everyone.

AGP is dead
jabb0
Grafter

grafix cards

That reply is about as bleek as the weather outside man.

cheers all the same tho
N/A

grafix cards

np's

sorry if i ruined your nite Sad

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :mrgreen:
N/A

grafix cards

ATi are gonna start doing X1600's wtih AGP (should be about 100 quid) due out 1st quater of 2006
N/A

grafix cards

ATI were supposed to release the R520 (X1800) on AGP but it didn’t happen, that broke loads of "ATI fanboys" hearts lol.

Would like to see some benchmarks on the X1600, but judging by the price i don’t think it will be much, if any, faster than a 9800 pro.

NVIDIA have a 6800GS for AGP on the way i believe, may be something to watch out for Cool
jabb0
Grafter

grafix cards

id be willing to spend that little bit more on a good card if i get to sqeeze the last ounces out og my current setup.

cheers
N/A

grafix cards

Definatly go Nvidia 6800, a GT or Ultra or the new GS as paco mentioned when it is released would be your best buy. Although you should look around for PCI-E boards now, they are coming down in price and the upgrade really isnt that much.

Considering PCI-E are cheaper to their AGP counterparts to produce, your saving money instantly by upgrading. In some cases as much as £40 and a new board will cost you what? £50-£60?

It's better to upgrade now really before your left with a choice of AGP cards that are severely outdated before you even purchase one. I wasnt too keen on replacing my AGP either but I managed to do it, mainly because it just opens up a much easier upgrade path in the future.

Goodluck with your purchases whatever you decide to do Smiley and happy new year! Tongue
jabb0
Grafter

grafix cards

yeah the mobo i would replace in a flash if i didnt need a new cpu and ram to go with it.

All the same though i think i will be waitin an gather up some more dosh and go for the whole hog.

on another note, any time i asked this question i usually get pretty opinionated and biased answers - so i guess i am askin for some more Wink . AMD vs Intel, personally it has always been AMD and i have never had the luxury of being able to afford 2 cpu's to see if the grass really is greener. I dont really care about all the benchmarks and graphs - if i have enough opinionated and biased rants from others i should ba able to make a good decision Wink

For example 2 chips - 1 amd & 1 intel both the same performance level (number on the box), obviously intel will cost me more.
Now if i try my amd cpu out then replace it with the intel (just pretend we live in a perfect world for a mo) do you think i would actually notice much difference.

I have read oodles outa mags on the subject - but what i really want is some good old advice from experienced users in the real world... not an analysis on benchmarks from a setup in a lab.
N/A

grafix cards

The simple answer to that is if you do more desktop usage than gaming then go Intel. If you do alot of gaming go AMD, if you do both go AMD. AMD vs Intel is just crazy at the moment, before it was all about price, now I am not sure.

AMD has probably a better support meaning alot of people online use them and know what they are doing. At the moment AMD is probably wiser, not exactly better but a better choice lol :? Tongue
N/A

grafix cards

1 word

NVIDA
Community Veteran

grafix cards

That's 3 words - OK 2 words and a number...

You appear to have spelt that word wrong as well. It appears to have some superflous letters and you missed one as well.... The correct way to spell it is

A T I

Tongue :lol:
jabb0
Grafter

grafix cards

there are 2 interesting points - currently i am using ATI, but previously was nvidia.

I was leaning towards Nvidia this time round - mainly cos of the trivial reason there is less to do to set it up on *nix. Thats how little difference i am aware of in the vards at the mo.

Things were alot simpler back in the day of Voodoo 1/2/3 or gForce 2/3/4, all one had to worry about was the generation number and how much ram u could afford on the card.

Now its just a maze of ridiculous numbers and letters like 6800XT and all the cards seem to max out at 256Meg which leaves the old skool rules out in da cold.

But then again the age old rule of "the better ones cost alot more" prolly still stands true.

As i said i might jus leave this all for a while, prolly just buy meself a fanless PSU - the last part i need to finally silence this box of mine.

==========
@phear
Thanks for the heads up - AMD thats wot i like to hear - stayed with em this long, no point in defecting to the darkside now :lol:

==========
jus while we are at it, we covered jus about everything, 64bit OS's and Cpu's - according to the math i did way back at skool, doubling the number of bits has the effect of quadroupling performance. I bet its not actually the case in practice is it? Does it even double the performance?

Not that there would be much point in putting together a PC that aint 64bit these days.

again cheers a million
N/A

grafix cards

Going for 64bit hardware is wise, but using the software now is not so wise. Thats all I am going to say because I cant be bothered to write a whole post on it as its a boring subject lol.

Now Nvidia vs ATI, well I use an X800XL 512MB card because of the 512MB, personally I dont think anyone should buy a card that is not 512MB if you plan on buying now or in the future. The reason I use ATI is only because Nvidia had no 512MB cards on the market at the time I was looking to purchase.

There should be some Nvidia 512MB cards now though, 7800 is definatly the way to go you can pick some of them up quite cheap now. Although most of them are 256MB and may be limited by that factor in the future, then again probably only noticeable in benchmarks or at max settings in games.

Personally I will be going ATI Crossfire once the prices drop, if they dont I will be going for a 7800GTX 512MB, but that wont be until the middle of this year and even then it depends whats going on at that time.

But if I was buying now I would get an Nvidia 7800, GT or GTX 512MB depending on the price etc. If you cant get a 512MB one get a 256MB, probability says if you dont benchmark and compare scores you wouldnt notice the difference heh.
N/A

grafix cards

@jabb0 - Sorry i missed this thread somehow.

I would definitely go for AMD64 over Pentium, they are super fast for games and not that far behind really for multitasking. As Phearfactor said if you’re into both go the A64 route, i have an A64 and a P4 here and imo the A64 is noticeably quicker in games, the fps increase is massive. Plus they run alot cooler which is a huge benefit.

Nvidia vs ATi - I go with whichever has the best deal at the time, im not bothered with the fan boy rubbish, both company’s make very good cards in all ranges. For example if you get the top card from Nvidia and the top card from ATi and ran a benchmark and one came out on top by a few hundred 3D marks lets say, the "real world" difference is going to be so minimal the human eye wont even notice.

These 7800 GTX 512MB cards look real nice but at £500+ a pop they are a little highly priced for me, imagine two for SLI £1000+ :shock:

Go for a A64 and a decent 256mb card and you will never look back....oh and PCI-e of course.

Good luck