cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gforce sli or gforce or dx10 card

N/A

can anyone help i have a sli rig x2 gforce xfx 7900 gt x2 256mb running ok, i can get hold of a xfx gfoce 7900gtx 512mb will i be better of with the one 7900gtx card then upgrade that card or wait for the dx10 card i am running xp home.

windows xp home
hiper r 580w
amd x2 4800 64
2gb corsair mmx 400mhz
asus32 sli deluxe
x2 gfoce 7900gt
raid 160gb
if you go dx10 i will have to run vista Huh or is it worth getting xp pro 32bit and 64 bit . i play games all the time i have not overclocked at this time only in the bios at 10% please shred some light on this for me
thanks.
8 REPLIES
N/A

hello rtparry

if you're running two 7900gt 256mb in sli then i wouldnt even think about the single 7900gt 512mb. You should be getting good performance with the two cards as long as everything is setup right

you setup is quite good and unless your a really serious gamer i would leave it alone for now, and wait for the dx10 card

for games theres no improvement in getting xp pro over home, i ran xp64 for about a year, and again you'll not notice any improvement (sometimes worse due to 64 bit driver quality)

for dx10 you'll have to go vista, maybe at that time go for the 64bit version as there will be far better support for it than xp64 got
Walrus
Grafter

maybe at that time go for the 64bit version as there will be far better support for it than xp64 got

I understand you get the 32 and 64-bit version with every Vista Edition, which will help enourmously in making it more popular then XP64 ever was.
N/A

yep noticed that today when reading another thread
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52661

its a good idea
N/A

thank all for your help
N/A

i have just upgraded 4 months ago and added a 7900gt for sli as above my cpu is a amd x2 4800 64 is there a better cpu for my 939 m/b........ and what price will it cost me
N/A

the amd 64 fx range are better but they will also cost you an arm and a leg, roughly £500 or more
The 4800+ is a good cpu, its the fastest dual core on 939

i just wish i had your rig Tongue

thanks for the help if i go vista 64bit the games i have are 32bit will they work

i tried the vista beta a while ago but that was the first release and there where problems with some games. But hopefully they sorted that out. WOW64 can run most 32bit apps (included in the os)
You will have problems with any starforce copy protection games on 64bit as they install drivers (32bit) but on xp x64 there are ways round it (microsoft orca can be used), and im sure when the time comes a quick google will bring up the answer
N/A

do you think that that the 8800 gtx will drop in price in a couple of months i want one the best price at this time is £390.00 from www.overclockers.co.uk

ps: will my hiper r 580w be ok for 8800 gtx
N/A

yeah they always drop in price in a few months as newer models are released 8850, 8900 etc. And competition from ATI to push prices down
As for the power supply it probably will do but start a thread over at http://forums.nvidia.com/, there are some very knowledgable peeps over there that can work out the amps on the 12v rail and basically know if a PSU can cope (its a monster of a card Cheesy)