cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ftp

N/A

ftp

hey ther me yet again, i'm thinking of setting of setting up a ftp server, to have this running constantly u need your pc on is this correct and if so is it ok to leave a pc running 24 7Huh will it not overheat or burn out or anything?Huh
9 REPLIES
N/A

ftp

Yes, for the FTP server to be accessible you need to have the PC on.

There shouldn't be a problem with overheating, as long as the room is sufficiently ventilated and you have enough fans on the PC to keep it cool. Also make sure the computer isn't stuck in a corner, where the air cannot move easily.
N/A

ftp

how do i know if i hav sufficent fans within my pc i hav the normal bog standard one that it came with is that fine?Huh
N/A

ftp

It really depends on the size (and spec) of the fan, and the spec of your PC. For example, a 120mm fan generally cools a lot better than a 60mm fan. And if you're running a very high spec machine, it usually outputs more heat.
N/A

ftp

how can i find out the size of me fan? cus i have quiet a high spec pc and im constantly updating it !!
N/A

ftp

Physically measuring it is probably the easiest way. Try and find a name or model on it, then you can find out more details about it (such as it's CFM, cubic feet per minute, rating - how much air it can transfer in a minute) which is what's most important.
Community Veteran

ftp

Do bear in mind though that alot of modern motherboards/BIOSs will actually shut your computer down if it gets too hot... so there isn't too much of a danger of overheating anyway.

Thomas
N/A

ftp

As a point of interest I have an old 200MHz P3 laptop which has a bust TFT screen. By using an external monitor I initially set the machine up with Win Nt. I have (amongst other little utilities including the UD Agent Cancer/smallpox research project) both an apache webserver and an FTP server running on them. I also use it as part of my data backup strategy. The laptop is out in my workshop and sits on my 100Mb LAN.It is hidden away behind a cupboard, generate virtually no heat (I have disconnected the screen completely) and makes virtually no noise. I use the Netmeeting "Remote desktop sharing" facility in Netmeeting to access the laptop whereby I can reboot/load new software/set up local games server or whatever from the comfort of any other PC on the network. Through the laptops internal rechargeables it has a 2hr power backup built in. Its been running faultlessly for a little over 2 years now, and I just occaisionally give it a remote reboot 'just in case'. I have never had to reconnect an external monitor to it since I initially installed the OS.

--all in all not bad for an old laptop that would have ended up on the scrapheap!
N/A

ftp

cheers guys, btw while on the subject whats the best programme to use for settin it upHuh
N/A

ftp

If you're using linux, you could try something like vsFTPd or ProFTPd, which come with most distros as standard.

If you're using Windows the best free server I've seen is GuildFTPd. Otherwise you could try something like BulletProof FTP Server which costs about £25 I think.