cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freeview dongles

N/A

freeview dongles

Hi,can anyone please tell me how good these work.Quality of picture and soforth.Thank you.
7 REPLIES
N/A

freeview dongles

I have been thinking about one of those. As the system is digital, although analogue transmission, the signal has to be good or you get nothing. But if you do have a good enough signal then all should be well. I am very sceptical though about getting a suitable signal with such a small antenna. So the only way I can find out is to shell out the £30.
bewick
Grafter

freeview dongles

I'm using a Presto "Sky" PVR dongle.
attached to a loft aerial via a possibly dodgy co-ax cable.
By and large it's excellent. Picture great and and only "stutters" now and then.

The teletext doesn't work though and not all all available programs appear - Sky News and Five Live have recently disappeared from the list for eg..

I did have the EPG working at one point but that now crashes the program. The few problems I have though I'm putting down to the quality of my aerial. The supplied mini-aerial is of no use indoors!
N/A

freeview dongles

I can find out is to shell out the £30.

Which one did you find at that price, please?
N/A

freeview dongles

Have a look at SVP

http://svp.co.uk/products-list.php?cid=179

I have used these people and find them OK
bewick
Grafter

freeview dongles

and aria
www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20886

This is the one I have which I described as Presto - which it is
N/A

freeview dongles

Thanks for the links. Yes, have used SVP before, and often see "must have" bargains there!

Just saw the requirements... one mentions 1 Gb free disk space... seems a lot (but nowadays 160 GB drives are getting to be the norm, so maybe just me being an old fuddy duddy!)
N/A

freeview dongles

One other thing to bear in mind is that generally these dongles do less work themselves and more (sometimes a lot) of processing is done by the PC itself. For example if you record a programme, the encoding (mpeg2 or whatever) can be quite resource-intensive.

OTOH many of the cards and bigger USB-connected boxes have hardware encoders on-board, so you can use your CPU cycles for something else, should you want/need to.