cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flattening harddrives

N/A

flattening harddrives

Hi,Can anybody tell me how to flatten hard drives?I have a p.c. with two hard drives and recently one totally disappeared from the drive list.I think it was a virus problem.After running scandisk and norton disc / windows doctor it told me that only a partial flatten would solve the problem.As I have backed up whats left I feel it would be best to flatten and re install but am unsure as to how to go about this.I am running windows 98 at the moment and have the disc to re install this but I also have a windows xp home ed. disc which came with my other p.c. can I install off this? It asks for the p.c. code no. that it came with but a friend told me up to two p.c.s can usually be installed with win xp. Any ideas? Cheers ,Bry.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

flattening harddrives

Not sure just what you mean by "Flatten" hard drives? I've never heard of that term before.

As to putting the same software on two machines this would be a breach of the terms and conditions of Microsoft and in fact the system would not allow you to activate the second one if you have already activated the first.
Community Veteran

flattening harddrives

Flatten = format

The utilities you will need are fdisk and format from a DOS prompt. Either use DOS mode or create a Windows boot disk. You will need one if you are formatting your main hard disk or partition and it will need CD ROM drivers in the event that you do not have a bootable Windows CD.

Chris
N/A

flattening harddrives

Hi,thanks for the tips but I was hoping for a Windows for Dummies style talk through!! Shockedops: Cheers, Bry.
N/A

Flattening your Hard Drive

try this link
http://www.newlogic.co.uk/kbase/fdisk/page1.htm
This tells you in words and pictures how to partion and flatten or 'wipe clean' your hard drive have fun