cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fedora core 3 with twin floppy drives need help.

kwhawell
Grafter

Hi guys, got this pc, with 2 floppy drives, both 3.5 inch high density 1.44 meg drives, managed to install fedora core 3 on to the pc, for use on a college project where both floppy drives will be required for backing up the project files on to, now, my question is this, how do I get fedora to see the second floppy? the first goes in to /media/floppy, but the second one isn't there, messed about with /etc/fstab and added the second one there, but when I reboot the box, it updates this file back to how it was before resulting in no floppy 1 drive, any idea what I can do to make this stick? I made a directory in the /media level, called floppy 1, using the entry in fstab for the first drive, which resides in /dev/fd0 but gets mounted as floppy, I made another entry refering to FD1 in /dev and mounting that as floppy 1, to show there is a difference between them, if you know what I mean.

I saved the fstab file and ran the following command.

mount /media/floppy1 plopped in a disk and pressed enter, the drive came online and added it's contents to the pc's file system, ran umount /media/floppy1 and it removed them as expected.

rebooted the box, tried to mount it again and it said it couldn't find the second floppy in either fstab, or mtab, the directory for it was still present though!

any ideas,

if chilly is around, do you happen to know what I can try?
by the way your linux site is ace, most of what I know about linux, at the mo, very little, was taken from www.chillypenguin.org it's a great site, unfortunatel I couldn't find any info on there for my current linux problem, also tried using the man pages to read about mounting drives and devices, and stuff, but, nothing found there, it must be able to be done because the /dev directory has /fd0 and /fd1 entries in it. many thanks.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi

Glad you liked the site.

WoW two floppy drives on one machine, you’re lucky to get a single floppy these days !!!

From what you have described, you have done the right things, but why is the fstab reverting back ?

Could I ask you to post up your fstab

Chilly
kwhawell
Grafter

sorry to be a dumbo, but how can I get that from my linux box to this one running windows? don't realy know much yet, still getting to grips with it. what I don't get, is that fedora core 2 used to let me use both drives.

edit,
just noticed on startup that the pc starts something called udev,
it says something about initializing storage, network, and audio, then says it's done ok, wonder if this thing is stopping the second drive?
Community Veteran

It does sound to me like FC3 is protecting its fstab by reverting to the old version. It could be part of an automated configuration program that takes over the control of the system settings.

Sorry but I do not have a box running FC3 at the moment.

As for getting the fstab off the machine just coping it to floppy should work.

Do you have the two machines connected by a network?

Chilly
kwhawell
Grafter

not yet, it's only just been built up, it's sitting in the computer shed down the yard, with another box that's having same problem on also running FC3, what I need to find out, is where that udev file starts from, and if I can stop it. I think that file is causing me trouble.
Community Veteran

You’re not the only one.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-October/msg01296.html

It looks like this is a known problem.

Chilly
kwhawell
Grafter

hmm, this is rather weird, don't understand a word of that little lot! just ran through those forum posts on redhat, and I sort of see what it's at, but sorta don't, I'm thinking that I need to do some stuff with my pc such that I make a script that moves a temp copy of fstab to it's right location right at the end of startup, just before log in screen, I'm thinking that I should do something that copies modified fstab over old one each time pc starts up to enable me to get 2 floppy drives on the job,
do you use skype? if so, and I get this pc up here, can you help me with it? totally new to linux, just finished the install which went ok but floppy problem bugging me, first floppy shows up fine, second one don't add second one and then can mount, but, reverts back when rebooted, no idea how to change kerlnal, or a hal, whatever that is, thought it was that computer out of space odicy or a very old screen reader I used to use.
Community Veteran

PM me your Skype name Cool
Community Veteran

Another suggestion is to use the following mount command;

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /media/floppy

This should mount the flopping even if there is not an entry in the fstab.

Chilly
Community Veteran

More suggestions;

Make sure that there are blank lines at the end of the fstab file.

See the forums @ http://www.linuxquestions.org/ it may be worth posting your question there.

Chilly