cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

failed hardrive

vic_newey
Grafter

failed hardrive

I have a maxtor 80 gig drive that is completely dead & won't spin up. I need to salvage some of the data on this disk so I took it to my local PC shop where they informed me that it would be very complicated & expensive, i.e. £400 to salvage the data.
I thought I may as well look inside the drive & I was surprised to find the inside similar to DVD / CD with a large silver disk.
Now my question is this - is it possible to simply remove the disk & fit it inside another maxtor that I could buy for around £60 ? It seems to easy to be true to me but before I open another drive I would like someones advice as to whether it is possible.
8 REPLIES
N/A

failed hardrive

The internal mechanisms of a HDD are finely calibrated and assembled in a dust-free environment. If you've opened it up, I can almost guarantee it will never work again. Plus, you can't buy HDD platters (the disc that looks like a CD), only complete drive units.

Sorry. :roll:
Tiger50
Grafter

Logic board failure

Sounds like the logic board failed, If you had left the drive assembled, replacing the board might have been enough, just to get the drive working so you could clone your disk to another disk.......
vic_newey
Grafter

failed hardrive

no good then Evil you mention that you can't buy the platters but it is the one from the failed drive that I need, I have the means to assemble it dust free with an extraction booth if I do attempt it but I will probably end up with two duff drives Evil
vic_newey
Grafter

Re: Logic board failure

Sounds like the logic board failed......

Is the logic board something that can be easily obtained / is this the large board underneath with all the printed circuit etc. ?
Community Veteran

failed hardrive

Not really no, repairing hard disks is not something that is undertaken very often and will result in it not working 99.99% of the time unfortunatly.

Chris
N/A

failed hardrive

Logic boards are very easy to replace and that methiod of getting your data back works well I have done it. The problem is you cannot buy a new logic board, maxtor would not sell me one so i borowed one from another identical hard drive got my data back and then swapped the logic board back again.
I wish I could get a new board as I have a brand new maxtor 80Gb which I have ruined by putting the plug in the wrong way round daft old sod that I am
madswitcher
Grafter

failed hardrive

Hi Vicnewey

I think you are scuppered if you have opened up the disc compartment. The heads of modern disc drives fly around about 15nm above the surface of the platter. The linear velocity is about 180 mph and this is all on an air bearing. Which means that if you have any particles even near a tenth of that you are going to have a head crash. Cry

Bear in mind that the flying height is about a tenth the wavelength of visible light.

Cheers, Mike
vic_newey
Grafter

failed hardrive

The mind boggles !
yes, I think I have already discovered I have scuppered it but nevertheless I had fun disecting it, at least I now know what the inside of a hardrive looks like ! Shockedops: