cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

erratic chip fan

N/A

erratic chip fan

I have an AMD 761 chip on a Gigabyte GA-7DXR+ motherboard. Lately there has been a wavering whining sound coming from the PC's innards which I have tracked down to the fan on the chip. It seems to be turning at varying speeds, if at all. I have taken the case off from the side of the PC so that I can observe it. Should I be worried, and if so what should I do about it?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

erratic chip fan

It is unlikely to be temp controlled (which would adjust he fan speed based on temps - the higher the temps the faster it rotates) so I suspect the barings are going on the fan, hence the noise. It will eventually stop rotating.

You will probably need to replace it , although it may well run OK without a fan as it came with one it's best to run your PC with it working correctly.

How is the fan fixed? Does it use screws or a clip. If it's easy to remove, switch off your PC and remove the fan. You then need to find an electronics shop and take it in and see if they have something similar. If this is something you don't want to do then you will need to find a local PC repair shop and ask them to replace the fan for you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

erratic chip fan

in a word yes, it doesnt take long after a fan dies for a CPU to burn out, so replace it asap.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

erratic chip fan

take a trip to

www.ebuyer.co.uk
www.overclockers.co.uk

and get ur self a new fan (60 mm one prob) and then just attach it onto ur cpu's heatsing.. or hey go all the way and get ur self an uber leet new heat sink as well (with some artic silver 5 paste)

also download motherboard moniter 5 to check the temps on ur cpu... with a new fan and heat sing you should see a good drop in temps

Buzzons
Community Veteran

erratic chip fan

in a word yes, it doesnt take long after a fan dies for a CPU to burn out, so replace it asap.

It's not the CPU fan, it's the fan on the AMD761 chip (i.e. the motherboad chipset), which is less critical.
N/A

erratic chip fan

However, most motherboards that come shipped with a chipset fan, do so for a reason.

Whilst as noted, less critical, it is advised you change it for greater lifespan of the system.
N/A

erratic chip fan

This fan (which cools the Nothbridge chip) often fails on this motherboard, and a replacement can be obtained from most Gigabyte resellers. I have seen many mobos continue in service with this fan not spinning at all. However, it is there for a reason and should be replaced. Ensure correct polarity when fitting the replacement.
N/A

erratic chip fan

Maplin do 40mm ball bearing fans for £10.99 (part number RG06G) and sleeve bearing for £7.99 (part number RG08J). Ball is obviously better.
www.maplin.co.uk

They also do 50mm fans, if a larger fan is required. 60mm fabs are for CPU's
N/A

erratic chip fan

Never measured one so not sure of size, but when we (www.soundsystem.co.uk) have the correct Gigabyte fan in stock, we sell them at £2.99 inc. V.A.T.
N/A

erratic chip fan

Thanks to all for your help. I am less worried now, but will seek a replacement part asap.

The Learning Curve takes another vertically upward sweep, especially as I am not at all sure how to "check the polarity" before I put in the new fan. Could Smithclan please advise?
N/A

erratic chip fan

The wires on non will at least be colour coded, Red & Black, indicating polarity.
The fan may fit to the motherboard via an indexed plug.
Community Veteran

erratic chip fan

The plug on the fan will normally be keyed so you can't plug it in the wrong way round. Also the fan needs to be fitted the right way round, i.e. it should blow air towards the heatsink and not suck air from it. Just make a note of how the fan blades look on the current one and place the new fan the same way around.

If your really not confident enough a local PC repair shop should be able to do it while you wait, but it will cost a lot more.
N/A

erratic chip fan

When I first saw this message I read the title as "Erratic chip pan" and I though that I had stumbled into a cookery forum by mistake Smiley

Eric
N/A

erratic chip fan

lol, a similar thought ran through my mind also.
N/A

erratic chip fan

And mine when I first started this thread! Some people have one-track minds - food track.

I have taken courage and removed the fan, removed the dust from the far side, and found a hole under a label into which I have inserted a drop of Singer sewing machine oil. This will buy me time until I can replace the fan, which is a lot less noisy now.

Thanks all.

Cheesy