cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dvd and bios

morgan2476
Grafter

dvd and bios

problems with my dvd player - bios does not recognise it yet when i go to windows it keeps on asking for the instalation driver for it. In device manager it comes up as a yellow question mark. Any ideas?
6 REPLIES
N/A

dvd and bios

what make / model is it? IDE/SATA?

whats your cable set up?
whats the jumper set to at the back?
morgan2476
Grafter

dvd and bios

it;s an ide not sure what the make is. All the connections and settings are fine, this has happened since returning from holiday
holdtight
Grafter

dvd and bios

So it was all working one day then not the next with no hardware / software changes ?

If you have checked everything buzzons said especially the master /slave jumper settings and still nothing then go into device manager right click the drive uninstall it then reboot and let windows pick it up again

If that does`nt work i find that sometimes a cmos reset does the trick when ive had this or similar problems
turn off all the power remove the cmos battery from the motherboard for about 30 secs then replace and reboot

you will need to go back into the bios and reset some options back to how you had them before and keep all the drives set to auto
Community Veteran

dvd and bios

And if doing the above doesn't get it back then the DVD drive itself may have died Sad

I have had this happen but slightly different in that it was recognised but only as a CD not a DVD. It would only see CD's as well.

A new drive was the answer and they are cheap enough these days.
You can get one for about £22-00 that will burn the labels on the CD / DVD with the right disc media.
LightON lightscribe from Scan www.scan.co.uk
morgan2476
Grafter

dvd and bios

Thanks to all who replied, the problem was the drive. I still cannot figure out how the bios did not detect the drive and windows did. thanks
N/A

dvd and bios

It has happened to me that the actual cable died before now. drives do die though - fact of life!