cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dual op system

slanjavah
Grafter

dual op system

Can anyone help. I have installed win98 on second drive (main drive win xp pro) when pc boots defaults to win 98. Can I and if so how do I get it to default win xp on boot.

May the force be with you
12 REPLIES
N/A

dual op system

Probaly Win98 has over written the boot sector/MBR on the boot drive so it can load 98.

You could boot from the xp cd and do a repair which should then rewrite the boot sector/MBR. It then mean 98 wont boot.

If you want to boot both system you need a boot manager like Acronis, Partition Magics boot manager or the best one is System Commander which lets you have over 100 O/S. You have to buy these

If you want a free one try
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/GAG-d.shtml

http://btmgr.webframe.org/

A boot manager makes fixing it very easy you install the boot manager and 90% then find all the O/S and next time you boot you get a menu of all the O/S and you just select the one you want
N/A

dual op system

you could also edit your c:\boot.ini file to make it boot both...
slanjavah
Grafter

dual op system

you could also edit your c:\boot.ini file to make it boot both...
please forgive but how do i Do that?

Thanks for replys guys

N/A

dual op system

start -> run -> "notepad c:\boot.ini"

type that without the " "

should open a notepad file looking like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

but with more things in for you, probably one saying "Microsoft Windows 98" or w/e
now just change the default to the one thats named XP

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

change that bits to which ever has the xp disk -- may need to change disk(1) to disk(0) or the other way around
slanjavah
Grafter

dual op system

Thanks guys that's given me some things to check over will read them carefully and if have any further questions will post them here.

thanks again and

N/A

dual op system

If he is going straight to win98 then the boot.ini isnt being used 98 has over written the bootsector/mbr so xp's loader isnt working. He can use the boot.ini if he repairs the boot sector with XP cd
slanjavah
Grafter

dual op system

Tried that but because I upgraded to sp2 cd states newer op system in place. Have downloaded a boot manager and can now choice which op ststem which boots

N/A

dual op system

doesnt 98 have a boot.ini file?
N/A

dual op system

Tried that but because I upgraded to sp2 cd states newer op system in place.

It would be advisable for you to create a Windows XP installation CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it - see http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp for instructions on how to do this.

Tim
N/A

dual op system

doesnt 98 have a boot.ini file?

No old boy/girl, there may well be a boot.ini file in there (I forget, and there are none to hand here), but it was with the NT-based operating systems (NT, 2000, XP) that boot.ini allowed for multiple OS. Boot Magic and their like are much more flexible.
N/A

dual op system

fair play, its been a long ass time since i used 98 lol