cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does this sound serious?

Patch
Grafter

does this sound serious?

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions...

Every so often my computer (Evesham, win xp, 1gb ram, intel p4 3ghz) completely freezes up, even the mouse stops working. Ctrl alt delete has no effect and I end up having to press and hold the power button to turn the machine off.

The computer then refuses to start up, there is the sound of the fans starting and the discs spinning up, but the monitors don't come out of "sleep" and the keyboard lights do not flash.

The only way I can get it to restart is to turn it off and then leave it alone for 5-10 minutes.

Any ideas?

Patch
4 REPLIES
N/A

does this sound serious?

My personal guess, and having dealt with Evesham computers, is this a Power Supply problem. AKA, it is dead.

You describe an exact replica of the problems I had with one of our systems.

If you still have your on-site wanrentee, report it only when you are having problems.

Make sure when they say they are sending an egineer out, that the system was working and that 10 mins of power down time will cure it.

They will most likely want to book a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and cooling set for the system, but persist in asking for a PSU to be included.

Don't settle for them saying engineers carry them as standard. Whilst normaly true, I know from chatting to one of the engineers (made regular visits to several of our sites), if they run out, it can be a pain for them to re-order.

So persisting on getting them to include one for dispatch, should help clear your fault first time, rather than 3 visits and a RMA that it took for the same problem we had with ours.
Patch
Grafter

does this sound serious?

I'll check to see when we got this computer, and hopefully I can get Evesham out. I was worried it was an overheating processor or something!

And thanks for the tips about what to get them to bring

Patch
N/A

does this sound serious?

I agree it may be a power supply problem; I had a similar problem once. Replacing the power supply fixed it perfectly.
pimpernel
Grafter

does this sound serious?

Perfectly simple job to swap a PSU. Only takes a few minutes. Make sure to get one with a bit of umph. 450 watts or so.