cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dlink dsl502t and ppp unnumbered

N/A

Hi does anyone know if you cab set a dlink dsl-502t to do ppp unnumbered. So that i can pass both of my external ip addresses through to my internal firewall. At the min i only seem to be able to set it so the dlink router takes one ip address and the external nic on the firewall has the other. Any suggestions or does anyone know of a good adsl router that can do this pass through.

Thanks
3 REPLIES
N/A

The router has to have one IP address. Otherwise how does anything communicate with it? "IP unnumbered" or "PPP unnumbered" doesn't mean the device has no IP address, it means that one of the interfaces (LAN/WAN) doesn't have one. Then if you turn off NAT and firewalling you can use WAN IPs inside the router.

You will therefore only have one free from your "block of 4" from Plusnet to use for an internal firewall. If you want more than that you'll have to request more from Plusnet.

dvdguideuk
N/A

I know on some routers it sets the router IP addredd to 0.0.0.0 as its a special config option to alow you to pass all ip's to your internal network. I know the dlink dsl504 soes it , just wondering if any other makes do it aswell.
N/A

I've been around routers for a long time and never heard of such a config. The only thing like it that I can think of is a cable modem which is effectively only acting as a terminator and the IP address for the connection is given to the ethernet decvice plugged into the cable modem.

If such a config was possible on a router how on earth is traffic supposed to be routed.

dvdguideuk