cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dial-up modem and BB

N/A

dial-up modem and BB

My XP SP2 PC is connected to Blueyonder broadband. I can upload and amend our website via ordinary ftp software, but to update our cgi server, I have to dial-in to +net (who host our website).

So, today I bought a Zoom USB modem 3090A model, apparently compatible with XP.

It's all installed, XP says it works 100 pct.

But, it's impossible to setup a dial-up connection. The option is just greyed out.

The motherboard has no onboard modem, so no conflicts there.

Anyone got any suggestions?
9 REPLIES
N/A

CGI Replying

Hi teamuki

Can you get a normal internet connection & login to this PN portal using the Zoom ADSL modem if you can then I cannot see why you should have any problems loggin into the PN cgi server. The only thing that comes to mind is that doesnt the CGI server itself require you to login with your PN username & PN password inorder to gain access. I dont think you can login automatically but I've not used the PN CGI server myself (used F9 CGI).

**But dialin ADSL access shouldnt be a problem, or are you trying a dialup modem on ADSL? whilst connected with your zoom modem?? as that would be a different story

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

dial-up modem and BB

Thanks for yr reply.

I think u have misunderstood: it's not an ADSL modem, just an old fashioned dial-up phone line modem. Normally it wld be an internal modem (HSP56 type) but the pc doesn't have a mdoem card. In the old days, the external modem wld connect via serial port. This one connects via USB. XP sees it fine, says it's working fine. It's just the Network Connections/Internet Settings bit that won't allow me to create a new (dial-up) connection.

The machine otherwise is connected to the internet via a cable modem through the ethernet port, on Blueyonder. It works fine.

I have to dial-up for the +net CGI server because althought +net host our domain, we don't connect through them.
N/A

Web connections Replying Ivan

Hello Again,

OK now you've clarified the points you made I understand your problems now, well the problem as I see it is that being on Blueyonder means your main service is via NTL or is it Telewest (can never remember which it is?) which is means your connected to the internet via a completely different telecoms network i.e. NOT BT!! whilst in theory this shouldnt make any difference I wonder if it does in reality. Any voice calls travel from NTL or Telewest are routed back over BT copper wires at some point and the same will be true for connecting to PN.

**Who is your main ISP? NTL, Telewest or Plusnet?

**OK so you have a cable modem plugged in and working, I suspect that windows wont allow you to create a second dialup network (DUN) connection as it's already connected to the internet via your cable modem. The USB connection ISNT the problem here, but your active cable modem connection IS.

I think windows wont allow you to have both a cable modem connection active and a dialup phone (DUN) connection active at the same time. The reason for this I think is that your machine is assigned an IP address via an NTL or Telewest DHCP server but if you attempt to have a second web connection via a dialup phone connection then there is the possibility of conflicting IP address and so I think windows wont allow x2 active internet connections at the same time for this reason i.e.to avoid IP conflicts.

In conclusion I think you will only be able to have x1 active web connection at a time (unless anyone else knows otherwise??). either cable modem or dialup phone NOT both at same time.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

dial-up modem and BB

Thanks for yr note. U understand it well. The bb connection is called Blueyonder, supplied by Telewest. Not NTL.

I also worked out about the possibility of 2 internet connections at the same time but concluded that if the machine had an internal modem, u cld dial-up quite happily. In that context, on other machines, I have been connected AND have dialled-up (to send fax via Delrina). Also, there's no law against having a dial-up connection and an ethernet always-on connection. After all, many people use their pc for faxing etc. XP doesn't know my intentions re this modem, which it calls a faxmodem device anyway!

U say that XP won't allow a 2nd dial-up connection. In fact the bb connection is LAN, so my USB modem wld have been the 1st dial-up connection.

Anyway, I tried with the LAN connection disabled and I also tried with it disabled AND the ethernet cable removed.

But still no go. It sees the modem, says it works fine, but the dial-up options for a new connection are greyed.
Community Veteran

dial-up modem and BB

The problem you have is you will have 2 IP addresses assigned to your PC as well as 2 gateway addresses. One from blueyonder and one from your dialup connection. This will confuse windows into not knowing which one to use so it probably defaults to the LAN. or more likely both stop working.

You will need to disconnect your cable connection before you can use the dialup modem so only one network connection is being used. You can't have both operating at the same time.
N/A

dial-up modem and BB

Understood, but it won't even let me establish a dial-up connection with the LAN connection and/or the ethernet cable removed! And with the LAN disabled within XP.
N/A

Replying again Ivan

Hi,
Thanks for your eliquant reply which was nicely put !

Petervaughan wrote:-

You will need to disconnect your cable connection before you can use the dialup modem so only one network connection is being used. You can't have both operating at the same time.

Regards Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Community Veteran

dial-up modem and BB

Understood, but it won't even let me establish a dial-up connection with the LAN connection and/or the ethernet cable removed! And with the LAN disabled within XP.

Have you tried unplugging your cable connection, rebooting, uninstalling your modem drivers, rebooting, reinstalling your modem drivers.

If that does not work it looks like a problem with the modem drivers and WinXP. Does the modem manufacturer have a support website/forum?
N/A

dial-up modem and BB

modem manuf is ZOOM, their website makes no reference to any problems, apart from box marks and driver swaps, but I have triple checked and I have correct driver for the modem.

I tried so many things yesterday, not sure if I tried yr suggestion, (which is de-activate bb cable connection, re-boot, uninstall ZOOM, re-boot, install ZOOM), but I'm sure I tried every other permutation!

Will give it a go tonight when I get home.

btw, on XP pc in office, its internal (ubiquitious PCI HSP56) modem dials-up whilst the pc is wirelessly connected to another ISP via easynet bb.